what breed of chickens should i get????????????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by themichigander, Apr 20, 2012.

1. themichigander

themichigander Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2012
    Portage, Michigan
    Since I'm selling my 8 week old production red cockrel (message me if you are interested, i live in southwest michigan and willing to ship) I now want to get two more hens about 6 to 10 weeks old but i dont know what kind to get. i have 2 production reds and 2 new hampshires now. i would like to get 2 hens of a more exotic looking breed but with good egg production and they would have to be able to fit in with the hens i have now. any suggestions??????????

2. TheOutcast

TheOutcast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Polish? Houdon?

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Hey there fellow Michigander. I live just north of grand rapids.

How exotic do you want? Buff Orpington are pretty and friendly but reasonably easy to find. You might want to get a couple of pullets that are a little older or larger than the ones you have so they don't get too beat up on during introduction.

4. themichigander

themichigander Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2012
    Portage, Michigan
    buff orpingtons sound good to me. where should look first for 2 of these around 6-14 week old?????????

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Another reason to get a chicken a little older than 8 weeks is to make sure you don't end up with a late blooming rooster.

There are a lot of great breeds of course. You may settle on a breed or two based on what you find available around that age.

Try the Michigan thread to see if anyone has any and then you may be able to pick them up pretty close by: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/233/michigan/40880

Check out the buy sell trade section: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/35/chickens-8-weeks-older

You can even look at Craig's list.

I hope you find some nice pullets.

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I like EE's and I just added a Maran. My EE's give me eggs everyday. I'm not sure if the maran is a strong layer, she's just a baby, but her eggs will be chocolate brown. I get a blue and an olive green egg from my EE's. I have 11 chickens with 9 different breeds. There are still a few breeds I want, but do not have like a barred rock, silkie, molted Cochin, buff Orpington, blue cochin, dominique, partridge rock, ect. I wish I could have one or 2 of each breed.

I have a speckled Sussex, 2 brahmas(one light one dark), rhode island red, Wyandotte, 2 EE's, cuckoo maran, d'uccle, salmon Faverolle, frizzle Cochin.

It is very difficult for me to pick one or two breeds. I love the mixed flock and eggs.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by