What breed of chicks does tractor supply sell?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jdc361, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Jdc361

Jdc361 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2015
    I am new to chickens and I am going to get them from the local tractor supply. I was just wondering what breeds they carry? I also wanted to know what is in the "assorted bantam" bin?

2. Jdc361

Feb 14, 2015
    I live in NY btw

3. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

4. Jedwards

Jedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    Here is the complete list of birds that ts carries during chick days:
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/know-how_Chicken-Care_poultry-breed-research-guide.html

It all depends on the area but mine only carries about 7 or 8 different breeds of chicken.

The most common I'd say are silkies, wyandotte, broilers, delaware, "ameraucana", and some type or production red or rhode island red.
    Sea brights and silkies are common in the assorted bantam bin. These are just my experiences, I live in PA. Good luck!

5. Jdc361

Feb 14, 2015
    Thank You Soooo mUch!!!!

6. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Good luck with your order of chickens I hope they bring you lots of joy and happiness. Drop by the learnng centre for some great articles on getting started raising them. Here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Be sure to ask any questions you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.
    Enjoy BYC :frow

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined the BYC "flock".

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. In my 50 years of experience, the most common breeds carried by local tractor supplies are Rhode Island Reds (or Production Reds), Plymouth Rocks, Easter Eggers, Sex Links, Buff Orpingtons, Black Australorps, Leghorns, and Silkies. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Do you have a breed preference?

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Silkies generally make great pets- are docile and tend to go broody ie, the females may want to sit on eggs and hatch them. They would raise the babies without need of an incubator. Silkies are not the best layers and because their appearance is so different than other breeds, they tend to get picked on and pecking a lot. They can also make great house chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by