What breed of chicks?

Karianne

Chirping
Mar 14, 2022
Michigan
Hey everyone, I just recently purchased a lot of 7 random chicks from my local farm and feed store (my first ever chickens!). I wasn't really sure what they were, I got some of the older left-over ones that were mixed up in a bin. They were selling many different breeds in the store in the last couple weeks. I believe they are about 1 to 3? weeks old (some look different ages).

Any ideas to breeds / genders / ages? Thanks! I know it might be too early to tell!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220314-154713_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220314-154713_Gallery.jpg
    402.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20220314-154834_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220314-154834_Gallery.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20220314-154903_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220314-154903_Gallery.jpg
    394.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20220314-154758_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220314-154758_Gallery.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220314_212021.jpg
    20220314_212021.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20220314-211833_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220314-211833_Gallery.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 8
Where did you get them?

A couple of them look like Wyandottes, one of them might be a Sapphire Gem, and the Chipmunk one could possibly be a Silver Duckwing OEGB.. is the Chipmunk looking one bantam sized?

Congrats on your new chicks! They're gorgeous, and I hope you enjoy them 😊

As far as sexing or determining sex of the chicks, you really won't be able to tell until they are about 12 weeks of age. Maybe sooner, but it would also help to know roughly what the breeds are (since some chicks can be auto sexed based on coloring alone, but I'm not an expert on that.)

Age is also tough to tell! 1-3 weeks is very likely based on the pictures alone.

As far as breeds, also very tricky. I notice one chick has a rose comb, so I'm leaning towards gold or silver laced wyandotte. The grey one could be a sapphire gem (production blue). The others I have no clue! Could be many potential breeds. A lot of breeds come in chipmunk color/marks, so it's tough to tell for me.

Where did you get them?

A couple of them look like Wyandottes, one of them might be a Sapphire Gem, and the Chipmunk one could possibly be a Silver Duckwing OEGB.. is the Chipmunk looking one bantam sized?

Hi, I got them from a local farm store. I believe they order them from a big hatchery, they get new chicks of loads of different breeds delivered every few days. I wish I had paid better attention to what they were selling previously! They are all standard sized I believe. The store people weren't really sure unfortunately since they were mixed up.

Some look like my Silver Laced Wyandotte. Her photo is my icon . I don't know the rest. Did you get straight run?

I think so too!! They are beautiful, I sure hope so. It seems like a lot of people agree. I was told they should all be pullets, but I wasn't sure they knew honestly! I'm not sure how I feel about a rooster just yet, so hoping for mostly all females.

Congrats on your new chicks! They're gorgeous, and I hope you enjoy them 😊

As far as sexing or determining sex of the chicks, you really won't be able to tell until they are about 12 weeks of age. Maybe sooner, but it would also help to know roughly what the breeds are (since some chicks can be auto sexed based on coloring alone, but I'm not an expert on that.)

Age is also tough to tell! 1-3 weeks is very likely based on the pictures alone.

As far as breeds, also very tricky. I notice one chick has a rose comb, so I'm leaning towards gold or silver laced wyandotte. The grey one could be a sapphire gem (production blue). The others I have no clue! Could be many potential breeds. A lot of breeds come in chipmunk color/marks, so it's tough to tell for me.

Thank you :) I had to look up rose comb, I think that could be right! I'm super excited to see them grow over the next few weeks, I can't wait! (Although I need to finish my coop first!) 😂

Back
Top Bottom