what breed of duck eats slugs but is gentle on a garden??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hollybird, Jun 26, 2008.

1. hollybird

hollybird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    lebanon
    i would like input on breeds that are good slug eaters. i want them to be in the garden but not eat the garden too. in the past my mother had pekins which were nice but not into slugs and muscovies that ate everything. when i was very young we had something that was brown and medium sized that was very nice.

2. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    I'm not sure, but you might be referring to rouens or mallards, when you say medium sized brown duck. They certainly eat slugs. However, it seems to me that most ducks will eat garden plants too. I'm not sure that there are ducks that won't sample the vegetation.

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    maybe you should get some weeder geese instead.

4. Maggie3

Maggie3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Muscovy ducks will eat slugs and also love to eat flies.

5. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Khaki Campbells are brown and medium sized, aren't they? But I don't know what they eat.

6. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    I found this at: www.ansi.okstate.edu/poultry/ducks/khakicampbell/index.htm - 3k -

Khaki Campbells do not require special care or artificial lighting to produce a large number of eggs, which are white and weight about 2.5 ounces (not much larger than a Leghorn egg). Thought not usually raised for meat, Khakis make high quality, lean roasters of 3-4 pounds; they average 4-5 pounds as adults. Campbells are extremely hardy, are excellent foragers, and are at home on land as well as in water.

They eat large quantities of slugs, snails, insects, algae, and mosquitos from ponds, but do not require swimming water to stay healthy.

7. hollybird

hollybird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    lebanon
    thanks for the info everyone!![​IMG]

8. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:they will eat slugs, bugs AND the plants in your garden. I had to replant all peppers and lost almost all my plants in the pumpkin /gourd family. They only leave eggplants and tomatoes alone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by