What breed of duck is best?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Welshies, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    I currently have four ducks, three hens an a drake. 2 Blue Fawn Rouens, and 2 gray Rouens. 12 weeks oldThey're awesome, but I need to build on my duck flock.
    I am building a coop probably this fall. I have one already, but since I want up to 20 birds at a time, I am building another. My current coop can house 10-12 birds.
    I love ducks, and the ones available to me are: Magpie, mixed breeds, Welsh Harlequin(?), Cayuga, Muscovy, and maybe a couple different breeds. I'm looking for 1-2 really good layers (probably Welsh Harlequin) but mainly for 3 really good all purpose ducks. They'll brood and hatch their own batches, be good for eating, and lay eggs, as well as somewhat be pretty.
    What is best for my situation?
    I am interested in Muscovy ducks, but the caruncles on the drakes are kind of repulsive if there's a lot, and I don't want to end up with Mule ducks. But I want both genders, in this new breed.
    If I went with Muscovy, can I only let the hens hatch their eggs, removing everyone else's to prevent mule ducks? And will a Muscovy drake fight with my Blue Fawn drake if there is only 6-ish hens for everyone?
    The new breed would be introduced as ducklings, to my 12 week old ducks. I might build the coop earlier, too, if it would help with aggression and what not.

2. Spyderk117

Spyderk117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Are you able to get khaki Campbell's I have heard they lay about 290 eggs per year.

3. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Welsh Harlequins lay just as good, often better, than Khakis, due to their calm dispositions.
    Limited availability here, though, since I am in the North.

4. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Unless you get rid of your mallard derived drake you could still end up with a mule.

My path has been pick a breed and stick with it. I went with one that was a good meat bird and layer. I don't have to worry about mules and can sell ducklings as the breed since there's no chance of a cross.

5. Eric 2016

Eric 2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    I'm not familiar, can someone explain "mule duck"

6. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    When a Muscovy is crossed with any mallard-derived breed, it produces a cross just like a mule. They're sterile (can not breed) have reduced productivity, and often different characteristics.

7. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Forgot to think about the blue fawn drake!
    I really want Muscovies. Maybe I'll build another coop and they can free range, while my other birds "free range" inside a 300 sq ft run.
    The problem is, my area is remote. There's not a lot of availability for different breeds, more so you get what you can scrounge up.
    I was considering getting 3 Muscovies and letting them free range, then letting them all spend the nights together in the same coop. During breeding season though, the drakes would have to be managed carefully.
    Perhaps I'll have to wait until I build another coop. But my Blue Fawns may be crosses, so I may eventually cull both. As well as the fact Muscovies are beautiful, perfect birds for my ecosystem.
    Thus the hesitation.

8. BabyandCotton

BabyandCotton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2016
    Florida
    Get muscovies! The males grow on you[​IMG] sweet quiet things.
    -Liv

9. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    I want them! Worried about the drakes fighting though, as well as the fact that I only have one coop. Really don't want mule ducks, lol.

10. BabyandCotton

BabyandCotton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2016
    Florida
    I guess the mules could be prevented by keeping them separate or just gather eggs daily. Would it be at all possible to keep the different species separate, even if just by a small run?
    -Liv[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by