1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed of duck is this?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BlackBrookPoultry, Nov 17, 2010.

1. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    This duck came from a hatchery. It is a male. But I'm not sure what he is. He does have a partial crest on his head. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I don't see the crest, but the colors are that of a juvenile Saxony ducks.

3. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:agees ^ and he does not have a crest his crest would be big and noticeable

4. BlackBrookPoultry

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    The crest is on the other side. It's not very big. Also, he is two years old. He does look like a saxony hen, but is definitely a drake. I've been calling him a hermaphrodite. Here's a picture from the front:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  5. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

There is probably something else mixed in.

6. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Which hatchery did you get him from? That may narrow things down based on what breeds they carry.

But honestly, if you got him from a hatchery then the safest bet is to just assume he's a duck [​IMG]. He could be a Saxony drake that is going through an eclipse molt. But I can't think of any hatcheries that sell Saxonies. He could be a Harlequin dilute that popped up out of nowhere. I know Harlequins are small, but I've seen some pretty good sized Harlequins out of hatchery stock.

7. Redwood Violet

Redwood Violet Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2010
    Humboldt County, CA
    Holderread in Oregon sells and ships Saxony ducks. That looks like it could be some kind of cross, but definitely Saxony in his background. [​IMG]

8. BlackBrookPoultry

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    It was either Ideal or Mcmurray that he came from. My mom got ducks from both hatcheries that year. He's always been that color. Maybe he is some kind of mix. I'll have to look and see what they sell for crested ducks at both hatcheries.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by