what breed of duck lays any color egg except white or off white????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by D'Angelo N Va., Jan 6, 2011.

1. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I am fencing in my pond area so I may get some ducks next year. I already have a pair of Muscovies, but I would like a breed that lays a colored egg as well..unless the two would not get along.

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  3. D'Angelo N Va.

Dec 28, 2009
    Quote:WOW Thanks so much. Actually up to now, I was also thinking because the Muscovies are such good mothers and can brood up to 3 sets a year, I assumed they were very prolific also, but I see they are not..they lay a clutch of about 15-20 and begin brooding....

4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Possibly a chocolate runner

I have a fawn and white, a silver and a chocolate.
    Only 2 are laying right now and one is laying the non white eggs in this pic...
    [​IMG]

5. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    My Rouen hens lay a sepia to tan colored egg (not sure exactly how to describe the color -- "camel" maybe)? It's kind of halfway in between a white egg, and the brown colored egg my Rhode Island Red and Isa Brown chickens lay.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  6. pmill39

pmill39 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2010
    i got three white pekin that lay light greenish eggs and two khakis that lay white so i get about everday 2 white eggs and 2 or 3 greenish eggs.

7. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    Cayuga eggs are really dark, to black. They look really cool.

8. Some ducks lay blue eggs, Dutch Hookbills do and some Magpies and Anconas, or some rare breds of Runners.
    There are different strains in some breeds that might lay different colored eggs.
    Holderread mentions in his egg production bulletin that there are some old strains of Khaki Campbells that lay blue eggs too.
    If possible find out what color the egg was that the duckling hatched from to get an idea of what your duck may lay.

9. D'Angelo N Va.

Dec 28, 2009
    Thanks for the info. everyone...I am looking forward to raising ducks this spring...

10. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    D'Angelo N Va. :

Quote:WOW Thanks so much. Actually up to now, I was also thinking because the Muscovies are such good mothers and can brood up to 3 sets a year, I assumed they were very prolific also, but I see they are not..they lay a clutch of about 15-20 and begin brooding....

That IS prolific - up to 60 ducklings per year from one hen, with no incubator! [​IMG] 3 sets per year (or more) is only to be expected if you take the ducklings away at hatch. You can also get 3 sets from 'scovy hens if you leave them with their ducklings in warmer climes. Here, I expect 2 if they raise their own.

The term 'prolific' generally means number of offspring raised. Muscovies are one of the most prolific breeds out there because of mothering ability. EGG LAYING ability is totally different. I find that muscovies aren't really egg layers unless they WANT to raise a clutch. If I take the eggs away (to eat or sell), they either stop laying or lay in a hidden area so that I stop stealing them, and they can raise a brood. [​IMG] You could get runners or other laying breeds and get an egg a day - but they may not set, so getting ducklings is totally up to your incubator hatching skills.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by