what breed of duck please!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lindy, Sep 8, 2010.

1. lindy

lindy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Oregon
    [​IMG]
    saved some ducks, [​IMG]I got to stop being so nice.[​IMG] They are happy little ducks, the owners place was being foreclosed so she had to move. Nobody would take her ducks so i was nice enough to take them until i can find someone that wants them.

2. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    the three darker ones i'm pretty sure are buff orpingtons but im not quite sure what the lighter one in the back is. Maybe a cross??? of a pekin and a buff or maybe the pic is just weird and it is a pekin.

3. lindy

Sep 6, 2009
    Oregon
    [​IMG]
    another photo, he is lighter then the other ones, but they are dirty from being in a crate.

4. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    I don't now, but at first look it looks to be a pekin X maybe its just me, otherwise it could be just a light colored buff.

5. lindy

Sep 6, 2009
    Oregon
    ok i saw some photos of others and they look exactly the same. how do i know which one is the male? the lady said one was a boy the rest were girls

6. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    If there is a male in there he should get a curly tail feather and his head should be getting dark.

(WARNING: DON'T CONFUSE THIS FOR A DUCK FOR A BUFF, I'M JUST USING IT AS AN EXAMPLE of a drake.) [​IMG]

Here is one of my khaki campbell drakes, if you have a drake he will look very similar besides his bill/feet (orange) and lighter colored feathers

[​IMG]

7. lindy

Sep 6, 2009
    Oregon
    so does that mean none are girls? one has a dark head but doesnt have the back feathers. they said that one is a male and he herds the other ones around. she said she gets eggs. but i dont know if she knew alot about ducks. they are a few years old.

8. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    well i see the one with the darker head, i don't see the curly tail. How old, a few years? http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/artquacks.htm Try this link and it may help, it describes how to sex the ducks without vent sexing them by the sound of there voice and other things like the curly tail. How long have you had them? might just wait until the morning and see how many eggs you have, also i have known hens to herd the group around.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by