What breed of duckling is this?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cymbaline, Feb 18, 2016.

1. cymbaline

cymbaline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2012
    central WV
    [​IMG]
    Saw these cuties at TSC this evening and was able to identify all but one. The lighter brown one next to the mallard has marking on his face like the mallard but no back spots and I've never seen one that light. Doesn't look like a muscovy... anyone have any ideas?
    Just curiosity really... I managed to somehow leave without them (after watching them for a half hour, lol).

2. KatieLoo

KatieLoo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2016

A runner maybe? The bill makes me think Runner duck..

3. foxygoober

foxygoober Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Greenville
    I have no idea, but I do know that we will be getting some ducklings from TSC soon. . .wondering how many trips we'll be making before we get there on the right day.

4. KatieLoo

KatieLoo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2016
    Hahaha! I hear that! I'd grab the little fella up and let it be a surprise to find out what he is! Baby ducklings are hard to resist! [​IMG][​IMG]

5. cymbaline

Jan 31, 2012
    central WV
    Oh believe me, I was sooooo tempted! And of course he'd need that little swedish for a buddy. But I worry about keeping up with so many ducks.
    I didn't think I saw any runners as I watched them, but I could be wrong. What color runner though? Trout maybe?

6. torilovessmiles

torilovessmiles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    Last year, it took me weeks of checking every tuesday and thursday to finally get ducks! I wish TSC had some sort of schedule for that...

7. torilovessmiles

torilovessmiles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    Some of them look like my pekin ducklings did, which is probably the most common breed they sell. The darkest one looked like the rouen ducklings I got. I'm not sure about the lighter ones though

8. Doc McCluckins

Doc McCluckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    Seeing the water trough full of ducks makes me reminisce. I worked at TSC about 3 years ago and this was always my favorite time of year. It was so dangerous for me because I would bring home new chicks every other week nearly. The assorted bantams are the worst. I don't miss that job but I do miss the chickens. I was the in house crazy chicken lady. My favorite was when people came in weeks after buying their chicks and they had lost their cute and fun appeal desperate to get rid of them. I would take them no questions asked. Good times lol.

We never got much variety at our store and we never got more than two breeds at a time. The most common were Mallard, Khaki Campbell and Pekin. I am not sure what the mystery chick is. It doesn't strike me as a runner but I don't know. You should just take him home and find out [​IMG]

9. cymbaline

Jan 31, 2012
    central WV
    As far as I know, the yellow with orange bills are pekins, the yellow with a pinkish bill are buffs (or possibly Indian Runners), the yellow with a tinge of brown/black is a Welsh Harlequin, the one that looks like a Rouen is a Mallard (because it is so much smaller than the rest - if it were near Pekin-sized it'd be a Rouen), and the brown with a light bib is a Swedish. Like I said, I could pick them all out except for that little guy...I even googled some breeds like Appleyard and Saxony since I don't know much about them and they don't look like that either. I'm puzzled.

You all are a bad influence on me! LOL :) I want so badly to go scoop a couple of them up with the "odd duck" but I don't trust my duckling-sexing abilities and I just recently got my male-female ratio to be reasonable. If I grab two more boys, by my duck-math calculations I'll end up with like 15 ducks! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by