What breed of ducklings are these?

Aacre

Songster
6 Years
Jan 9, 2014
Western Slope, Colorado
I went to TSC in the hopes of getting some Mallard ducklings, but they had none, so instead came home with 4 yellow ducklings. The employees at the store have no idea what breed they are. One said that it started with a P but it wasn't Pekin- she was sure of this. So I waited until this morning to call the store again in the hopes that someone today would know the breeds they carried.. No such luck!
hu.gif
Last night, I decided that they are probably Pekin ducklings. Then this morning, I was doing some research and realized that yellow ducklings don't always mean pekins, but could be another breed, maybe Indian runners? It would be awesome if they were Indian runners because I think they are adorable ducks.. So, any ideas? My DH and I have been planning on getting started on ducks again after some years hiatus, so we're newbies at ducks- again.
barnie.gif
Pics aren't the greatest!!

They are probably Pekins because the only ducks available on thier special order form are Khakis, Mallards, Rouens, Swedish, and Pekins. I got some last week, even though I wanted some khakis. But then they got khakis in and I got some more. LOL! Good luck with your babies, I'm a complete beginner to ducks!

Thanks! Either way, I'm in love with them so it wouldn't matter. I guess I can wait and find out when they grow up. I don't know why we got rid of our last duck flock- they were a hoot. Maybe the times were harder, and ducks are kind of pigs if you let them be. We had them for less than a year and had accidentally come up with a duckling that they were hatching out by themselves. It was a great experience and I am eager to learn the ducks all over again!
ya.gif

What breed did you get?

I got 2 Pekins and 4 Khakis. Am hoping for 1 Khaki drake and the rest females.....but with my luck I will have 5 drakes and one female! LOL! A pair of Pekins would be ok with me too!

I went to TSC in the hopes of getting some Mallard ducklings, but they had none, so instead came home with 4 yellow ducklings. The employees at the store have no idea what breed they are. One said that it started with a P but it wasn't Pekin- she was sure of this. So I waited until this morning to call the store again in the hopes that someone today would know the breeds they carried.. No such luck! :confused: Last night, I decided that they are probably Pekin ducklings. Then this morning, I was doing some research and realized that yellow ducklings don't always mean pekins, but could be another breed, maybe Indian runners? It would be awesome if they were Indian runners because I think they are adorable ducks.. So, any ideas? My DH and I have been planning on getting started on ducks again after some years hiatus, so we're newbies at ducks- again.:barnie Pics aren't the greatest!!
Yup those look like Pekins. Congrats on the new ducks! You will really enjoy them :)

Yup those look like Pekins. Congrats on the new ducks! You will really enjoy them
smile.png
Thank you! I'm already enjoying them very much! :)
I got 2 Pekins and 4 Khakis. Am hoping for 1 Khaki drake and the rest females.....but with my luck I will have 5 drakes and one female! LOL! A pair of Pekins would be ok with me too!
I know the feeling! I would have that luck too. That's why I got 4 ducklings.
fl.gif
for 3 females and 1 drake, but it probably won't happen that way!

Back
Top Bottom