What breed of ducks are these?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AliceGee, Feb 10, 2016.

1. AliceGee

AliceGee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2014
    Australia
    Hi,I just got these ducklings today and the person I got them from doesn't know what breed they are. I've had chickens for ages but these two are my first ducks so I'm unfamiliar with breeds. I was thinking that they might be Swedish black ducks just from photos, can anyone please confirm or offer other suggestions? Also whatever breed they are is it too early to be able to tell their gender? I think they're about ten weeks old but not 100% sure.
    Thanks in advance :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  2. CochinLover1

CochinLover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    Those look like Swedish or magpies to me. The adult plumage will help clarify that for certain.

3. casie

casie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2015
    Wow they are a really pretty breed or cross breed!

4. PotatoWaffles

PotatoWaffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2014
    Northwest Ohio
    They could be black Swedish or some kind of mixed breed, it's hard to tell. They look closer to 4-6 weeks old to me, they still have fluff on their backs. At this age, the only way to tell gender is if they have their adult voices yet. If they are still peeping, it's too early to tell. If it quacks or honks, it is a girl. Boys generally take longer to develop their voices, and they make a soft rasping sound.

5. AliceGee

Mar 4, 2014
    Australia
    Thanks for the help everyone [​IMG]

6. AliceGee

Mar 4, 2014
    Australia

Thanks for clarifying the age also [​IMG] One has developed its adult voice, from a video I watched it sounds to me like a girl, the other is still peeping so possibly a male?

7. PotatoWaffles

PotatoWaffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2014
    Northwest Ohio

Definitely could me. My males peeped until about 6-8wks and then it was like they magically got their voices overnight lol

8. AliceGee

Mar 4, 2014
    Australia

Fingers crossed for one of each! Thanks for your help! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by