1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed of ducks are these?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dutchbunny83, Jan 24, 2014.

1. dutchbunny83

dutchbunny83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2012
    Fayetteville, NC
    I'm new to ducks.
    Ideal Poultry ran an emergency sale on ducks because too many hatched so on a whim I got 20 (17 made it here alive).
    It was hatchery choice, straight run, whatever was extra. Unfortunately my 3 that arrived dead were the prettiest!
    I know the bigger yellow ones are white Pekins.
    I am *guessing* the one brown one could be a Campbell? And the black ones with white chests could be Swedish?
    I have no idea!
    I'm thinking there are only 4 different breeds, but I don't know.
    Also, the big ones I think are Pekins are beating up on all the smaller ones and trying to rip feathers from the other heads. I have them in a bigger brooder, I just stuck them in this tub when they first came out of the box while I was setting up the brooder & warming the heat lamp. Is there anything I can do to stop it???

Anyone have tips on guessing gender? Also, what kind of ducks do you think I have?

THANKS!!!

White Pekin?
    [​IMG]

Swedish, maybe? Any other guesses?
    [​IMG]

No idea! There are several of these that I think are all the same breed. The patterning is different (and some doesn't really look like pattern), but they're smaller than the White Pekins, and they're yellow but have darker down on their faces.
    [​IMG]

And then there's just one of the little brown guy
    [​IMG]

And this is a group shot when they first got here
    [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Their adorable and way to early to tell gender, but looks like maybe blk swedish, buffs and KC and of course the big Pekins. Over crowing can cause bigger ducklings to peck at smaller ones and too high heat might too. keep them separate till the smaller ones have a chance to grow a bit then slowly try introducing again. also if you have a room with out carpet and some old towels you could put them on the floor where they have pleanty of room to run around and see if the Pekins behave nicer. Very sorry for your losses.

1 person likes this.
  3. dutchbunny83

Nov 11, 2012
    Fayetteville, NC
    Awesome, thanks so much!
    I'm really hoping the brown one is a KC & is a she because I hear they are great layers.
    How long does it take a Pekin to grow out to eating size?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I don't eat my ducks I raise but from all I've read around 12 weeks and before the pin feathers come in.

1 person likes this.
  5. dutchbunny83

Nov 11, 2012
    Fayetteville, NC
    Okay, thank you.
    I've never eaten duck at all, but the hatchery said the jumbo pekins were meat birds. We've raised turkey & chickens for meat so figured I'd give it a try on a couple. I don't know ducks are pretty cute!

6. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    No idea duckling looks like a buff to me also and the little brown guy is a khaki Campbell. By the way how much did you pay for 20 ducklings?

7. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Pekins are also great egg layers. A kiddie pool would make a good brooder box. It is easy to clean and much larger. And the pekins from ideal are regular pekins not jumbos, which is good because jumbos have more leg problems. Enjoy these babies so cute.

1 person likes this.
  8. dutchbunny83

Nov 11, 2012
    Fayetteville, NC
    Okay thank you.
    The woman on the phone had said jumbos, which I don't know the difference, but I really don't want a duck bordering on a turkey!
    We have a 3rd bathtub downstairs no one ever uses so that's my brooder. I put down bedding & have the infrared heat lamp.
    I had to take out the little tub of water I was letting them play in because the water temp wasn't staying warm enough & I lost my favorite one I think from getting too cold. It was the only crested one in the bunch. I have the regular chicken waterer thing in with them where they can drink but can't swim in it.
    My poor birds outside this crazy weather their water keeps freezing!
    I have to find out gender, but if they're girls I want to keep 1 Swedish, 1 buff (assuming that's what it is, by looking at pics I think that was an accurate guess), & the 1 khaki Campbell (really hoping that one's a girl!) And maybe a drake Pekin to eat? Just because I've never had duck.

You know how you can tell like 90% what your chickens' gender is by tail feathering at a week old (ones still all down are roo's, ones with real feathers coming in are girls), can you do that with ducks? I don't want to grow them all out for months, but I really want to know a good guess on what gender I've got so I know who I am getting rid of.

Also, other than non medicated, what should I be feeding them? Right now they're getting flock raiser like my quail...

9. Gonetothebirds

Gonetothebirds Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2014
    Ducks are harder to sex then chickens. With the pekins you may have to wait till you can voice sex them.
    Also pekins don't grow like cornish cross, or a white breasted turkey. They get huge but not gross!
    With there water I would not let them swim as they will chill. But they do need water deep enough to dunk there head into to clear there nose out.

10. MissusDee

MissusDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    I had a pekin that I swear was a jumbo, she weighed about 12 lbs. Was the sweetest thing, but huge and a huge eater. Was the friendliest duck. Seems they tend to be like that. I call buffs on those light brownish ones too. The one in my profile picture is a buff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by