1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed of ducks do I have?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Maidservant, May 26, 2008.

1. Maidservant

Maidservant Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Norwich, Norfolk, UK
    Ok, so I got two ducklings out of the TSC assorted bin a few weeks ago. I'm pretty sure they are both female. Anyway, here are the pictures:

Here is the smaller one:
    [​IMG]

And this is the best picture I could get of the bigger one...it likes hiding behind the smaller one (the one on the left is the larger one):
    [​IMG]

Here is a photo of them the day I brought them home. It's amazing how quickly they grow!
    [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Emily

2. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    looks like you have a kahki kampbell and a roen or mallard

3. Maidservant

Feb 20, 2008
    Norwich, Norfolk, UK
    Ok, thanks! Now to get up the money to build them a large enclosure with a sunken pool and to find a drake for them. lol

4. Maidservant

Feb 20, 2008
    Norwich, Norfolk, UK
    One thing, every picture of khaki's are a lot lighter than the one I have. This one is extremely dark, with a black head, and the only brown is dark and it is tipping the feathers. It's bill and feet started out black, they have lightened a little, but not much. It has a white band that goes around the front of it's neck. It has no other colors on it. The underside of it's wings are dark like the outside of them.

Is it actually a khaki, or could it be something else? I have no clue.

Thanks,
    Emily

5. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    He looks a lot like my Khaki Campbell, Truffle. In fact, Truffle is even a bit darker than your duck, but yours is the only other duck of this breed that I have ever seen that is similar in color to mine. My boy is just a little younger than yours, and he is darker than all the Campbell pictures I have seen so far. I have heard about a very dark variant of Khaki Campbells, and I suspect that's what both of our boys are. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  6. Maidservant

Feb 20, 2008
    Norwich, Norfolk, UK
    So the larger one is a drake? It's 10 weeks old and doesn't have the curly feather at the base of it's tail (yet anyway). Either way, no matter what they are, they are adorable and I love having them!

7. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    maybe its a male mallard/roen ?

8. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    They look Rouen or Mallard, not like Khakis at all.

9. Maidservant

Feb 20, 2008
    Norwich, Norfolk, UK
    I thought that both Rouen and Mallard had yellowish heads with darker "racing stripes" when they were ducklings. The bigger one was solid black except for the white ring on it's neck.

No question, the smaller one is either a Rouen or Mallard.

10. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    The one with the brown head almost looks like a khaki campbell drake with a rouen tossed in the wood pile. He is a drake for sure. What color are the speculum feathers? (Theya re the ones that are blue on the other ones wings. If they are brown, he is a Khaki.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by