What breed of geese are most likely to get along with my chickens?

PlayingDoh

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2020
Ontario
We have a hatchery around us that has: Brown Chinese, Embden, Saddleback Pomeranian and Toulouse.

I have a 12'x24' "barn" that the chickens call a coop and I'd like to house them all together and let them all free range in a 100'x50' fenced off area (5' fence, with a hot top wire at 6') daily, 7am to sunset.
Plan is to get a pair as day old's (or close as I can), keep them in a brooder in the house until they are 2 weeks old, then move them out to a fenced off section (with a heat source, if needed) in the barn until they are big enough to not be hawk food (never had an attack but best to be safe).
Goal is to just keep them as a pet and play lawn mower for me.

Just wondering which is generally going to be safest with my chickens and typically which is going to be the least amount of noise (context: I have 2 roosters and the noise doesn't bother me one bit) and I do know they are individuals and might not fit the norm. Are any of the breeds listed going to be an issue with my fence height? Any things wrong with my plans?

I'm currently assuming the Pomeranian is my best bet but figured I'd ask and likely won't get them until the spring.

We have a hatchery around us that has: Brown Chinese, Embden, Saddleback Pomeranian and Toulouse.

I have a 12'x24' "barn" that the chickens call a coop and I'd like to house them all together and let them all free range in a 100'x50' fenced off area (5' fence, with a hot top wire at 6') daily, 7am to sunset.
Plan is to get a pair as day old's (or close as I can), keep them in a brooder in the house until they are 2 weeks old, then move them out to a fenced off section (with a heat source, if needed) in the barn until they are big enough to not be hawk food (never had an attack but best to be safe).
Goal is to just keep them as a pet and play lawn mower for me.

Just wondering which is generally going to be safest with my chickens and typically which is going to be the least amount of noise (context: I have 2 roosters and the noise doesn't bother me one bit) and I do know they are individuals and might not fit the norm. Are any of the breeds listed going to be an issue with my fence height? Any things wrong with my plans?

I'm currently assuming the Pomeranian is my best bet but figured I'd ask and likely won't get them until the spring.
I got two geese and raised them from babies. They do great with my chickens. One got killed by a raccoon. I was heartbroken. We found the hole in the fence and fixed it. Didn’t get the breed name when we bought them at southern states. 😂. She only honks occasionally and is a good alarm is anything is wrong in the area. She really is super nice to the hens and rooster. Lays 6 eggs twice per year. I’ve attached a video.

Attachments

• 41FA17C0-6EB6-431F-9901-D3A02B19E952.jpeg
    41FA17C0-6EB6-431F-9901-D3A02B19E952.jpeg
    443.2 KB · Views: 13
My only goose experience is with American Buffs, which I understand are --by goose standards -- pretty docile. They free range during the day with my runner ducks and assorted chickens and co-exist pretty well. At times, for completely unknown reasons -- at least to me -- the two geese decide to walk up behind the ducks and march them across the yard.

While Gussie and Golly will nip at a single chicken, if there is more than one hen, the big girls seem to be intimidated and dash off.

They certainly aren't aviators. Once in a great while, one of the girls will "fly" over the 2-foot fence up by the road. But as soon as she realizes her sister is on the other side, she cries for me to retrieve her.

Are you planning to always have a sectioned off indoor area for them at night? Because of the inherent messiness of waterfowl and their overwhelming love of water (mine like to sit in the electric dog watering dishes I put out for everybody during the day. It is, to say the least, a tight fit), I would probably let them have their own "bedroom" in the barn.

In any case, congrats on deciding to add geese. I LOVE my goofy and entertaining girls. Every morning when I let them out of their shelter, they spread their big wings and look as if they are just happy to greet the new day. It always makes me smile.

Quietest geese out of my 6 are my Grey Saddleback Pom, Grey saddleback pom x embden cross, and Sebastapol. My other breeds are embden, chinese, and african. African is relatively quiet but loves talking in you face when you talk to her.

The full saddleback isnt very friendly though, she wont go out of her way to attack the chickens but she'll certainly give them a nip or a lil lunge if they get in her space. Her and her mate and 4 ducks sleep in the chicken coop at night, with them on a heavy straw floor and chickens way up above on perches and they do fine. The chickens have learned to not leave the roost or nesting box until the geesehvave gone out first lol. They go their own ways and ignore each other mostly, unless the chickens are in a feed pile the geese want which then our gander embden will charge at our rooster to spook him off the food. She only honks sometimes in what sounds like a crying honk "ha-ha-ha", otherwise she makes a low grunting noise when just talking. She sounds so sad lol. Cant say anything on fence height because my girl was born deformed (had bad angel wing when we got her too, one of her legs is bowed inwards and she falls down a lot and limps a few paces before evening out) and cant really jump or get off the ground, but I know she is a very heavyset goose so I imagine her getting out of a fence would be very unlikely!
20200919_154723.jpg
Shes definitely my favorite bird in terms of looks though. I regret not being able to be around her when she was younger to try and tame her down more. Maybe she'd be a little friendlier like all my others.

Chinese w/b the loudest.
I have Cotton Patch and Shetland ganders with my chickens and they all get along. I also have Saxony ducks and although they also get along the geese will go after them.
My waterfowl sleep outdoors in electric netting. Raccoons won’t get in. All my predation happens in my barn.
I had Poms and enjoyed them. Temperament will depend on the breeder as much as the breed. If you can ask to meet their geese, and/or get advise from the breeder.

Back
Top Bottom