What breed of goat is this besides lamancha.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by AnniesFarmFl, Nov 10, 2014.

1. AnniesFarmFl

AnniesFarmFl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2014
    Bell,Fl
    My lamancha doe gave birth to two beautiful doelings(they are around 6-7 weeks old) but we bought lady(the mom) at an auction and she was already 3 months pregnant and we never got to know the father and they seem very tiny, my saanen babies were much bigger at their age, I'd just like to know if they are growing

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    They should be tiny with such a tiny mother, from what I've seen the smaller types of goats seem more dominantly expressed in offspring than the larger types.

While they sure are tiny for their age, their body proportions say they are just minis like their mother. It's possible the father was an even smaller mini, perhaps. I would expect them to be bigger at this age, otherwise.

They don't seem unwell to me. I'm not a goat expert though, but I'm generally reliable enough at spotting health problems even in species I'm unfamiliar with, as I've spent most of my life rehabilitating injured or ill animals, especially orphans, so usually I spot something if it's wrong. But, if in doubt, a vet or a real goat expert should be able to help. :)

Best wishes.

3. AnniesFarmFl

Apr 22, 2014
    Bell,Fl
    The mom is actually a big goat even compared to our Nubian doe. She just looks small in the photo I should have picked a better photo

4. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Ah, no, she does have odd proportions for a mini, distinctly more large-type, but all the LaManchas I've seen or heard of were all medium to mini, no large or normal sized, so I forgot that they can be, lol... My bad.

They look fine to me but there's not too much that can be told from just looking at a photo after all. I hope you get a good answer on them. Perhaps a vet is your best bet, but I expect they will grow normally in time anyway.

Best wishes.

5. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Maybe LaManchas in Australia are different, but most here in the U.S. are massive. Nowhere near the size of a mini. The American Goat Society says they should weigh at least 130lbs.

The kids likely had a small breed goat like a pygmy and a Nigerian Dwarf as a sire. Though do you give your goats a coccicia preventative, AnniesFarm? A high coccidia load in a young kid who cannot battle them (and all goats have coccidia, but in kids or weak adults they can proliferate and cause problems) often stunts them.

6. AnniesFarmFl

Apr 22, 2014
    Bell,Fl
    Yes they have, we do have to give special treatment to the brown girl she is weaker than the white doe, I assume their sire was a mini breed but I didn't want to jump to anything.

7. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    I expect the LaManchas I've seen were minis but nobody specified that, hence the confusion. I know there are mini strains of them, but forgot about the larger ones because I never see them nor hear of them. I'm not overly familiar with the spectrum of goat breeds yet, all I've ever had first hand experience with were either complete mixed mutts, or Anglo Nubians, British Alpine, Saanen, and of course minis.

That's interesting and does explain your concern somewhat... What, specifically, do you mean by 'weaker' and having to give her 'special treatment'?

Best wishes.

8. AnniesFarmFl

Apr 22, 2014
    Bell,Fl
    She had hypothermia a week ago and ever since that she has been kept in a hatch with a heat lamp during the night away from her mother and she gets save-a-kid. She is skinnier than her sister she probably hasn't put much weight on since her birth weight.

9. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Have you discussed her health problems with a veterinarian? Have you sent in a fecal sample to the vet to check both little ones for worm and coccidia (different things) load?

10. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    How did she get hypothermia? I assume it's very cold where you are, probably, but I ask because some diseases can be mistaken for hypothermia, since they result in hypothermia even though it's just a secondary symptom. If you found her unable to access her mother, or being rejected by her mother, it would probably be a more open-close case.

At that age they're still feeding at night from their mothers, generally, so separating her overnight can impact her growth. They do grow so quickly, amount and regularity of feeding has a visible impact.

It's possible she's just going to be a bit of a runt, perhaps the other drinks faster or more, or perhaps she was born a bit deficient in the first place.

Do they feed well? Does the mother show any signs of rejecting the smaller kid at any time? Sometimes, just to be obtuse, they can pick one offspring to reject, without outright rejecting it, so someone not observing closely would be fooled into thinking all is well, until later on the rejected one shows its regular neglect physically.

As Stacykins suggested, a vet may be able to find a cause.

Best wishes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by