What Breed of goat is this?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by danielnv, Mar 2, 2009.

1. danielnv

danielnv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    Mountains of Virginia
    Hello,

I am looking at baby goats on Craigslist, and I called the poster and was told that one of her does is a full-sized Nigerian, and her buck is a Nigerian dwarf. Her other doe is a pygmy, also crossed to the dwarf buck. I googled Nigerian goat, but all I saw was dwarf goats although their were many pages I didn't search through. If I get them, they will be my first goats, so I don't want to get screwed. She wants $150 each, which sounded ok when I thought they were full Nigerian dwarfs, but I'm not sure with these crosses. I live in the city, and I want something small enough to be classified as a pet, but my primary purpose is my own source of raw milk.

[​IMG]

This is the pic in the ad. I am assuming the doe is the full size, the smaller kids are the pygmy/dwarf crosses, and the larger kid is a cross between the dwarf buck and whatever the full size doe is.

Any ideas from the pic what breed this doe is?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    LOL The breed is Nigerian Dwarf...so likely they're mutts and she's guessing. If you want a dairy goat, buy a Nigerian Dwarf from a breeder who actually milks them and breeds them to be milked.

There is nothing wrong with mutt goats...you'd have to get your hands on them and look at udder and teat structure though. Some mutts are great milkers.

3. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I wonder if the seller didn't mean that the nigerian male is a dwarf? As in dwarfism? I don't think you want to use a true dwarf for breeding purposes.

4. danielnv

Jan 19, 2009
    Mountains of Virginia
    Quote:From what I have read, the Nigerian dwarf is the natural size they occur in the wild, which is the reason I am skeptical.

5. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    you sure she didnt mean Nubian? They are full size goats.

6. danielnv

Jan 19, 2009
    Mountains of Virginia
    I asked her if the doe was like the size of a Nubian, and she said yes, but that the kids would be in between the 2 sizes. I was wondering if a dwarf would even be able to do the deed.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  7. mekasmom

mekasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    I can't speak about a Nigerian Dwarf, but I do know that my pygmy billly cannot reach my Nubian. If Nigerians are the same size as a pygmy, then you may have problems. I put a stand in there for him, but he still couldn't do it. He can cross with the Alpines.

8. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I have Nigerians and my buck can reach my Alpine doe and Nubian and they are full sized does. I bet she is talking about a mix of Nigerian and maybe alpine or Nubian or even Saanen...something larger that was bred to. They basically either refer to them as Mini's or Kinders. Nothing worng with them at all as I have some Minis here.

9. danielnv

Jan 19, 2009
    Mountains of Virginia
    Quote:I assume a mini would produce more milk, so that would be nice. Do you think they are mini enough to pass for a pet in the city?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  10. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    Personally I'd pass if the seller doesn't even know what they're selling, and if they are telling you it's a full sized Nigerian then they don't (or they assume you won't know enough to question it).

And I think the person that said maybe they ment the buck was dwarfed ment that it was an actual dwarf. Nigerian Dwarf is just the name, they aren't really dwarves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by