What breed of goose?

LaceyLu96

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 18, 2014
Hello Everyone, I just joined, and am really not sure if I may ask

here, but we(my boyfriend and I) bought a female goose, and we would like to know what breed she is, she's VERY sweet, quiet, and docile. We would like to get a male goose because she is lonely with only the ducks but would like to get the same breed. When we got her we were originally looking for a duck, and there was a goose just like her in the pin, and a grey male of the same breed too. I'm posting pictures below. She also is not very big at all, not much bigger than our pekin, and buff ducks, just with a longer neck, and bigger feet, and she is supposedly young, born this year I'm guessing. Lucy(the goose) is white, blue eyes, but has a grey spot under her left wing, not sure if it matters but would love to know her breed. Thanks~

Also, the breeder I am getting a male goose from said she looks like a classic Roman, but another opinion said she looks like a White Embden, and i have looked at both, but cannot figure out which one she looks like more, whichever breed it is, there has to be a grey color because there were grey and white ones, and the males are very loud.
Thanks

Thankyou ! and Are emdens really big? because she is very small, and I am not sure how long they take to grow, and could they be grey as well?

I'm sure they can get very very big, the males can be 30 pounds and the females 20. You probably have a female if she is small! I think Emdens are always white like the Pekin duck, mix breeds with Emdens can be gray.

The male that was with her was larger than her very obviously, and he was straight grey, and loud,
she's very quiet, and hasn't bit, or snapped at me or any ducks, even when we caught her to trim her flight feathers,
and if I wanted to get a male for her, would an emden male be nice like her, or are they a product of their environment? I don't want to get a male that will be mean and forceful as we have other ducks, and would it have to be the same breed?

Most geese are friendly with their own, you should introduce them all while the gander is in a separate pin. Geese don't care what breed is with them, some fall in love with ducks! Find a gander that isn't being sold because of anger/aggression towards other geese/people and you should be fine. Do you have a picture of the male?

I do not have a picture of the gander, he wasn't aggressive, but he seemed very scared, as did our goose, and the others in the pin, and we thought at first maybe she would not like the others because she was very jumpy but when she calmed down, she was perfect, and the ducks, especially the drake don't like her, so we figured we would get another goose or gander so she wasn't alone(our ducks have been together since they were a week or so old so they're pretty picky about others). Do you have any suggestions on the easiest going breeds of geese? The people we bought her from have no more geese, but we are thinking of getting one from someone who has geese, ducks, chickens, and the whole nine, so we can pick the breed we want, but I've had Chinese geese, and they were very aggressive, so I figured it differed from breed to breed.

I do not have a picture of the gander, he wasn't aggressive, but he seemed very scared, as did our goose, and the others in the pin, and we thought at first maybe she would not like the others because she was very jumpy but when she calmed down, she was perfect, and the ducks, especially the drake don't like her, so we figured we would get another goose or gander so she wasn't alone(our ducks have been together since they were a week or so old so they're pretty picky about others). Do you have any suggestions on the easiest going breeds of geese? The people we bought her from have no more geese, but we are thinking of getting one from someone who has geese, ducks, chickens, and the whole nine, so we can pick the breed we want, but I've had Chinese geese, and they were very aggressive, so I figured it differed from breed to breed.
What breed of geese do these do the other people have you are referring to? Buff American are a nice calm breed as are production Toulouse, I have an Embden gander and he can be aggressive but loves his goose. Pilgrim is another breed that pretty laid back. All ganders during mating season can be aggressive and protective of their mates and then gosling if they hatch any. it's totally normal behavior. You goose looks to be Embden.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom