1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed of hen is this, anyone?????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by crj, Dec 14, 2011.

1. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Hello,

I just got this hen today. Someone gave her to an older gentlemen in Sep. Said she has not laid any eggs so that tells me she may be young. To him it is just a chicken, meaning he didn't know the breed..... lol. He has bantams (doesn't know the breed either) and this chicken was a little big for his birds. Very sweet man..... lol. Loves his bantams though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  2. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    So, is she a large fowl?

The color is Birchen. As for the breed... perhaps a Marans?

3. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    She is Iowa Blue

4. ChickenWisperer

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:I thought the white on the IB's was heavier, extending down into the breast?

5. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Not all of them. I have one from Ideal-she is even darker.

6. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Yes, Iowa blue.

7. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Quote:No, she isn't that large. Bigger then a batam though. I have a feeling she is still young. I've never heard of an Iowa Blue. How interesting. I will have to look up that breed. She is pretty. I hvaen't heard of a Birchen either! I'll look that breed up as well. Thanks.

I looked up the 2 breeds and she does look more like a Birchen.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  8. ChickenWisperer

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:No, she isn't that large. Bigger then a batam though. I have a feeling she is still young. I've never heard of an Iowa Blue. How interesting. I will have to look up that breed. She is pretty. I hvaen't heard of a Birchen either! I'll look that breed up as well. Thanks.

I looked up the 2 breeds and she does look more like a Birchen.

Yep, well, if she's small but bigger than the bantams I'd say it's likely that she's an IB. They're pretty rare. She's a pretty hen [​IMG]

9. Emptywagon2

Emptywagon2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    North East Texas
    I am new and still learning so please don't get mad...but that looks like a roo to me. Do I see saddle feathers and hackle feathers? The comb look really red for a young bird too. Not knowing much about the breed, I might be mistaken. [​IMG]

10. ChickenWisperer

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:Nobody's gonna get mad [​IMG]

The redness of the comb is due to her beginning to lay. However, it's not nearly large enough for a males.

You don't see saddle feathers. Well, you do see them but they are not the saddle feathers of the roo. The hackle feathers may look male to you due to the color compared to the black base color. This is what the hackle/saddle feathers of a male look like this -

[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by