1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed of hens do i have and are they hens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by demolisher, Oct 18, 2016.

1. demolisher

demolisher New Egg

Oct 18, 2016
    Good evening i recently got 13 new birds and im having trouble figuring out what breed they are , any ideas ? Thanks!( new to chicken farming)[​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. demolisher

demolisher New Egg

Oct 18, 2016
    I thought the same thing, hard to work this website, its going to take some getting used to

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Is that gold on the neck feathers or is it just the photo?

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I'm also seeing red/gold on the neck and chest. If that's the case, they're black sex links or mixed breed birds.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

7. demolisher

demolisher New Egg

Oct 18, 2016
    Here is another photo of one , hope this helps. Also im averaging 2 eggs a day with 20 hens , is that normal? I dont know how old any of them are , got them in two batches (free) which may be why..

[​IMG]

8. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's the same picture [​IMG]

There's usually a reason they're free. my guess is they're from spring 15 and have either molted already or are headed that way. It's normal for hens to take the winter off at this age, then resume production the next spring. Lots of folks sell them off at this point, not wanting to overwinter non producing birds. Myself, I'd rather keep a good layer over the winter and have her resume in the spring, than bother with brooding chicks and waiting 6 months for them to start laying. But everyone has their own management style.

9. demolisher

demolisher New Egg

Oct 18, 2016
    My bad it was suppose to be one with two hens not the same photo lol. Okay, however how do i know if they are good layers since i just got them, at this point it seems like it will be a gamble.. 22 birds ( 2 roosters) are quite a few to feed over the winter in my opinion, i will have to monitor how much food they go through over the next month and then decide whether or not to keep them i suppose. Also for the dust bath , i was researching on, is it okay just to use earth/sand from your property?

10. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I don't give my birds anything special to dust bathe in, except ashes from the wood stove. Other than that, they use the plain ol dirt in the run when it's dry. when it's wet, they use the deep bedding in the coop. I call it spa time....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by