1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed of pig to buy?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by donjr, Jun 26, 2011.

1. donjr

donjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2010
    I want to raise one, and I have researched on how to do it, but which breed?

2. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    been thinking abuot this myself. may just go with a crossbreed female for now. I would like a pure Duroc or a Duroc Cross. I personally like the red coloring.

3. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    I like Canadian Yorkshires they are long and give you a lot of bacon and chops. [​IMG]

4. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    I prefer the look of of a nice belted Hampshire.

5. bagendhens

bagendhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Outside the Boundries
    that all depends, are you looking for a pig to be a pet, to be meat, what kind of cuts would you like, how much space do you have, do you need a breed thats easier on the land and more thrifty or do you have acrage they can just plow and tear apart, do you want a pig that you can easily handle, or one thats more rais it till its beg enough and then off to the butcher.

personally i like Old Spots, they are BIG pigs, GREAT pigs for lots of fat and make great back bacon and lard, lovely meat overall, but despite their size they tend to be gentler natured and easier to handle, they are known in the uk as the orchard pig, farmers would move them to the orchards in the late fall and let them clean up all the windfalls and they wouldnt typically bother the trees, but they also make good plow pigs if left to their own devices in an open feild. they are very thrifty and can be very easily pasture raised.
    but they are a heritidge breed, hard to find and quite expensive in the USA and can take a little longer than many comercial breeds to meat slaughter size...
    i also like kune kune pigs if your looking for something a little more "pet like" great garden pigs, god orchard pigs (not heavy rooters) small and easily handlable, typically gentle natured, and can be used for meat, but they are very expensive and also hard to find lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by