What breed of Pigeon do you think this is?

Pidge08

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2020
I know nothing about pigeons at all!
But this pigeon life found me šŸ¤£

I found the egg on my balcony back May, and now I have a fully grown pigeon that pops back throughout the day to say hello and have some snacks! He is very tame and eats from my hand.

I was most surprised to see how different he looks to the usual pigeon crew around here!
He is black and white speckled on the face, and a rather handsome boy.

Is he a particular type?

I would love to find out more šŸ˜Š

Attachments

• C98188E5-2AB1-43E4-A2AA-A8CE865E43D5.jpeg
    C98188E5-2AB1-43E4-A2AA-A8CE865E43D5.jpeg
    219.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 045DABA6-51DD-45E8-A66E-8B57BFB47CA6.jpeg
    045DABA6-51DD-45E8-A66E-8B57BFB47CA6.jpeg
    259.5 KB · Views: 11
I know nothing about pigeons at all!
But this pigeon life found me šŸ¤£

I found the egg on my balcony back May, and now I have a fully grown pigeon that pops back throughout the day to say hello and have some snacks! He is very tame and eats from my hand.

I was most surprised to see how different he looks to the usual pigeon crew around here!
He is black and white speckled on the face, and a rather handsome boy.

Is he a particular type?

I would love to find out more šŸ˜Š
If you found the egg I suppose he came from a feral. He is handsome and if you put him in with my flock of racing homers he would blend right in. Many ferals have descended from lost racers.
Did you hand raise him from hatch!? If so congratulations!! :thumbsup That is not easy.

If you found the egg I suppose he came from a feral. He is handsome and if you put him in with my flock of racing homers he would blend right in. Many ferals have descended from lost racers.
Did you hand raise him from hatch!? If so congratulations!! :thumbsup That is not easy.
Oh no, I found the egg and then mum and dad came back to sit on him. Sorry I should have made that clear! I had no input whatsoever in raising him! Other than shooing off magpies.

The parents look nothing like him, they are what I refer to as your average Joe pigeons. Although mum did have a blue tag around her foot, which after time fell off? Iā€™m guessing she once belonged to someone before she found my balcony to lay eggs on?

Is he a particular type?
with his mom once having a band, it is most likely a cross. do you have photos of the mom?

The dad, his blood may go back as far as Europe, when his ancestors lived in the cliffs, or, he may have recently escaped. Pretty view btw!
The parents look nothing like him, they are what I refer to as your average Joe pigeons. Although mum did have a blue tag around her foot, which after time fell off? Iā€™m guessing she once belonged to someone before she found my balcony to lay eggs on?
It is probably a lost domestic pigeon, or one that someone simply banded to keep track of it in feral populations.

It reminds me of my bird:
IMG_20200608_132928.jpg
IMG_20200608_132930.jpg

with his mom once having a band, it is most likely a cross. do you have photos of the mom?

The dad, his blood may go back as far as Europe, when his ancestors lived in the cliffs, or, he may have recently escaped. Pretty view btw!

It is probably a lost domestic pigeon, or one that someone simply banded to keep track of it in feral populations.

It reminds me of my bird: View attachment 2284964View attachment 2284965
WOW yes your pigeon does look very much like my Pidge! I will dig out a photo of mum tomorrow. She seems like a particularly intelligent bird!

I also forgot to say I am in England, if that makes a difference :)

Back
Top Bottom