What BREED of ROO is the tamest and less agressive

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CountryRoosterUSA, Apr 6, 2011.

1. CountryRoosterUSA

CountryRoosterUSA Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm looking into getting a roo for my girls, { 1 year old red-stars } but with my granddaugthers around I want a nice one, or at least one that does't attack every time it sees you. I have heard that the RIR is very agressive. Is there a certain breed thats calmer and nicer or is it just the luck of the draw.

2. HollywoodHillsHens

HollywoodHillsHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have heard Salmon Faverolles are extremely docile roos in general....

3. Bi0s

Bi0s Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    Bland County VA!!!!!
    thats a hard one realy every rooster has a differnt Personality so seen some RIR that was mean then seen some like a pet so

4. The Funky Chicken Dunce

The Funky Chicken Dunce Out Of The Brooder

Well the silkies certainly are the tamest, but I am thinking that is not what you're looking for. As for the rest I believe it depends on how you raise them, out of 15+ I have had the only truly mean one is a Silver Laced Wyandotte. The Buff Orp, Austarlorpe Xs, bantams and Silkies were all fairly friendly. No reflection on the breed, I think he was just born that way from whatever line he came from, his sister is very un-peopley too. RIR's are not more or less aggressive than any other breeds that I know of. My friend's is just fine, avoids people, but never attacked anyone.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  5. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    I think everyone has thrown in some great suggestions including how they were raised, I thought I would throw some in too, in general Cochins, Buff Orpington, and Favorelles. I have had a little experience with RIR's and has not been good, but how they are raised has something to do with it. Sometime though you just get a nasty rooster [​IMG]. I like to hand feed mine treats from a young age, and continue when they are full grown, if they are good Roos as adults they will give those treats to their girls [​IMG], so that way they think of people as a food source not competition. It seems to help, but like I said sometimes you just get a mean one.

6. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    I would say faverolle or Cochin too. They are both very laid back breeds that usually don't cause trouble.

7. chickenman98

chickenman98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Eastern Oklahoma
    Cochins are very friendly.

8. chickenman98

chickenman98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Eastern Oklahoma
    Australorps are supposed to be friendly too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by