What BREED of ROO is the tamest and less agressive

CountryRoosterUSA

Songster
13 Years
Mar 28, 2010
Dyersburg, N.W. Tenn.
My Coop
My Coop
I'm looking into getting a roo for my girls, { 1 year old red-stars } but with my granddaugthers around I want a nice one, or at least one that does't attack every time it sees you. I have heard that the RIR is very agressive. Is there a certain breed thats calmer and nicer or is it just the luck of the draw.

Well the silkies certainly are the tamest, but I am thinking that is not what you're looking for. As for the rest I believe it depends on how you raise them, out of 15+ I have had the only truly mean one is a Silver Laced Wyandotte. The Buff Orp, Austarlorpe Xs, bantams and Silkies were all fairly friendly. No reflection on the breed, I think he was just born that way from whatever line he came from, his sister is very un-peopley too. RIR's are not more or less aggressive than any other breeds that I know of. My friend's is just fine, avoids people, but never attacked anyone.

Last edited:
I think everyone has thrown in some great suggestions including how they were raised, I thought I would throw some in too, in general Cochins, Buff Orpington, and Favorelles. I have had a little experience with RIR's and has not been good, but how they are raised has something to do with it. Sometime though you just get a nasty rooster
somad.gif
. I like to hand feed mine treats from a young age, and continue when they are full grown, if they are good Roos as adults they will give those treats to their girls
big_smile.png
, so that way they think of people as a food source not competition. It seems to help, but like I said sometimes you just get a mean one.

Back
Top Bottom