What breed of roo should i get?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chickenrandomness, Sep 16, 2010.

1. i'm getting more chickens this spring!!!! i'm moving to a farm! and i'm getting a few roos, and i need one that would: protect the flock but not attack me or anyone else, can keep my cats away from the flock (my cat catches rabbits all the time!), is Accepted by the APA, is friendly, is ok with another roo or two

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Friendliest roosters I've ever known are Faverolles....and will protect their girls to their death. [​IMG]

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Ameraucanas. Not the mutts you get from hatcheries and feedstores, but genuine Ameraucanas. Of all the breeds I've had around here, they are almost always the good guys. Great to the hens and pullets, the best about handling a situation with a "stranger" cockerel/rooster around, pretty quite in general, always friendly towards people, and pretty protective from predators and even mean hens or roosters. They will also do a lot for your girls - Including making a TON of neat little nests. [​IMG]

4. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    orpingtons and buckeyes

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Orpingtons. Big, fluffy, gorgeous and gentle roosters, but with a strong attachment to the flock. Protective. But cuddly to their people.

6. i forgot to add, i want a chicken that is not too common (i'm a rare breed junky [​IMG] )

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Again, Ameraucanas. [​IMG] The stuff from hatcheries is completely different, real Ameraucanas aren't easy to find.

8. Quote:Again, Ameraucanas. [​IMG] The stuff from hatcheries is completely different, real Ameraucanas aren't easy to find.

i do ko=now a few places that sell them... but one place dosn't have the other breeds i want and the other place is hard to order from

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Again, Ameraucanas. [​IMG] The stuff from hatcheries is completely different, real Ameraucanas aren't easy to find.

i do ko=now a few places that sell them... but one place dosn't have the other breeds i want and the other place is hard to order from

If the few places you know that sell them are hatcheries, they're going to be EE's not the real thing.....even tho they call them Ameraucanas.

10. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    buckeye buckeye buckeye!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sorry not great pics

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by