what breed of roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pollitohenhouse, Feb 11, 2015.

1. pollitohenhouse

pollitohenhouse Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Americana? def a roo tho

2. pollitohenhouse

Jan 18, 2015
    Also...what is this guy? buckeye? barnevelder? Def a roo...has a pea comb
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The first bird looks like an Easter Egger. The second one I think is a Dark Cornish.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The first bird is an Easter Egger. I'm leaning towards the second bird being a hatchery quality Dark Cornish.

5. pollitohenhouse

Jan 18, 2015
    Ok cool thanks. What do u mean by hatchery quality? is that good or bad?

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    "Hatchery quality" refers to birds that you get from a hatchery. Hatchery quality birds aren't neccesarily bad, they just differ from so called "show-quality" birds which are bred to a standard and for showing. Hatcheries tend to focus more on quantity of birds than on how well birds would do at a show. Therefore, their birds tend to turn out slightly smaller than their show counterparts, or may have lighter color, or lack certain breed characteristics (for example, a hatchery Silkie may not have five toes like it should on each foot). Hatchery-quality birds may resemble their breed in some ways, but in many cases don't look quite like the breed should, according to show standards. For example, hatchery-quality Rhode Island Reds tend to be excellent layers that are small bodied and a rusty reddish color. Show quality Rhode Island Reds are large, perhaps not quite as good layers as the hatchery birds, and are a deep mahogany color. Your Dark Cornish is hatchery quality because he doesn't seem to have the width or distinct color of a show-quality Dark Cornish.

I hope this helps.[​IMG] There's nothing wrong with hatchery quality, unless you really want to show.

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree.

8. Urban Flock

Urban Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Southern Oregon
    I agree, Great looking birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by