What breed of rooster and how many should I get?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jaycee, Mar 5, 2012.

1. jaycee

jaycee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    Hello,

I am starting a dual purpose flock in my backyard. I just completed an 8 X 12 coop to house them and plan to construct a covered run approximately 8 X 32. I also intend to let them free range most of the summer whenever I am at home in my yard which is about an acre. I am planning to order from Welp because they have free shipping and the cheapest prices I have found. After researching the different breeds, I think I'm going to start with 5 each Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Buff Orpingtons, Golden Laced Wyandottes, and Americaunas... that would be a total of 25 birds, the minimum order.

Eventually I would also like to build an incubator and raise my own chicks, so I would also like to order a rooster or two or three. My question is, what breed of rooster would someone more experienced recommend for such a set up with these types of hens and how many should I start with? I would like them to be calm and not attack me obviously and also stay inside a four foot fence when they are ranging in my backyard. Also I would hope they will get along and not kill each other hehe.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Silkie Chick

Silkie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

We have only ever had two types of roosters, silkies and cochins. I found that my cochins have been pretty aggressive if there is anything to be aggressive to. The silkie has seemed to be very good and nice so far, and although he is a little small, he can't fly at all.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    First tip for ya - You're not actually getting true Ameraucanas. They're mutts called Easter Eggers, hatcheries just call them that likely to get more buyers.

Second -

Easter Egger roosters are one good idea as they bring in more colored egg layers instead of just more boring brown eggs, but other choices are Orpingtons, Brahmas, Buckeyes, Delawares, and Rocks.

I'd avoid Wyandottes and Reds as some often end up aggressive in hatchery stock. Easter Eggers are a bit unpredictable too but it's worth the shot, especially if you try out a couple and choose the best tempered one.

If you really want good dual purpose birds and a guaranteed friendly rooster though, look through craigslist when you girls are mature for a rooster for sale or free, preferably one who is said to be friendly and one of a breed/strain who's bigger. French Marans are fast growers, get very big, and are excellent for dual purpose flocks. True Ameraucanas are always puppy-dog friendly, always offer the blue egg gene into the flock, and are often good sized. imported strain Sussex are another super idea, as they're huge, docile, calm, and pass on genetics for big birds.

4. jaycee

Aug 5, 2011
    Thank you Illia that is some really great advice. I think maybe I will just order the girls from the hatchery for now then and do as you suggested looking for roosters on craigslist. Awesome tips on the different breeds as well. Thnks alot!!

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    You probably don't want more than 2 roosters. Roosters that are raised together can get along fine, but there are never guarantees with roosters. Considering that you are starting a dual purpose flock, it sounds like you would have a use for a rooster who did not behave well. My Buff Orpington roosters are good natured and have never attacked me. Orpintons and Wyandottes are heavy enough breeds that would likely be deterred by a 4 ft fence. With Orpington hens around you may not need an incubator. Mine go broody periodically and would probably incubate eggs just fine if I gave them the chance. Of course once you start incubating eggs you may have all sorts of roosters running around [​IMG]

6. jaycee

Aug 5, 2011
    Thanks Scratch and Peck... I suppose I could just order 3 or 4 roosters and put any I don't like in the freezer as you suggest.

Silkie Chick I had thought about throwing in some silkies just for the conversation piece of it and I read they go very broody... but would they do well in a mixed flock considering they are so small?

7. jaycee

Aug 5, 2011
    Oh and btw Silkie Chick I was reading your sig line and your homestead sounds similar to mine... we have 6 Nubian does, 1 buck, a jersey cross heifer and a longhorn/angus steer, 8 khaki campbell ducks, a couple hives of bees, and the chicks are coming this spring... had 2 pigs too but they now are housed in the freezer:)

8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Mine do very well in a mixed flock. One of my silkies is actually higher up on the pecking order than the barred rocks. My silkie rooster is alpha roo, and quickly puts my BR roo in check.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by