What breed of rooster do u suggest I get

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by happyhens44, Jan 2, 2011.

1. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    I might be asking a lot from a rooster but im looking for

Friendly To the hens

Not aggresive to the hens while mating

Protective (not attack me)

Pretty.

and isnt stuck up

* asking for a lot, I know. But Im thinking about getting a new roo if mine keeps up his nasty behavior.

any breed suggestins?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    That isn't asking for a lot, honestly. It isn't exactly asking for a breed though, just a breeding. [​IMG]

Personally I've had a lot of non-hatchery based French Marans, Jersey Giants, Araucanas, Ameraucanas, and crosses between and never met a mean one, but my number one recommendation has been and is always the Ameraucana. (NOT the hatchery bred Easter Egger, those can be aggressive to both people and hens)

True Ameraucanas, in my experience, have always been very sweet towards people and hens, very good gentlemen, the least likely to fight amongst other roosters, and pretty protective of the hens too. They're very caring. They're also VERY beautiful, as they come in colors like Silver, Buff (my favorite) Blue, Splash, Black, Blue Wheaten (often a favorite) White, Wheaten, and even Lavender.

Plus you get nice green egg laying Easter Eggers out of them if they're with a flock of brown egg laying hens. [​IMG]

3. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:Perfectly stated! But for the MOST part, Barred Rock roos seem to fit your needs... [​IMG] You're not asking that much, that seems to be what everyone's looking for.

Hatchery isn't the best way to go. You should go to a breeder and ask to see the parents to find out what they're like. Brothers and sisters, also.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  4. Alycia

Alycia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Almost all of my roo's that I have are extremely sweet. The only one that isn't is my Sumatra that I got as an adult who I don't think was socialized too well, and one Phoenix who I didn't get to socialize either because I got him as an adult and he was already skittish by then, but he's by no means mean..Lol. It is my personal opinion that you can probably spoil any young roo into being sweet if you get him as a chick or really young. That's just from my experience, I'm sure others would probably say differently. Not sure if that'll help the attitude towards the hens but I dunno for sure.

[​IMG]

5. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:I have to disagree. Most roosters aren't like that and contain a lot more testosterone than your's do.

6. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    My most docile roos have always been my giant cochins. Cochin Xs are awesome too.

7. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I love my true ameraucanas as well. They are the sweetest things always wanting to be petted and have thier beards scratched. They are never aggressive to me or the family. They spar a little amongst themselves because there are 4 of them but they don't do any damage to each other.

8. Poupoulles

Poupoulles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Mayberry (really!)
    I second the Plymouth Rock vote. I have a partridge colored Rock who exactly meets the specs you describe. he is not a cuddler but we live in mutual respect and courtesy. He is nice to his hens and keeps them in line. He dances for mating and doesnt do too much of the "surprise!" mating (polite way to say it really).
    He is a good lookin guy and crows llike he means it.
    We had a pair of invading dogs come and kill a hen and while no rooster can do much in that scenario, my jaques gave one of the dogs a scar to remember him by (before prudently herding his hens into the basement hidey hole while we ran around yelling)

9. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Quote:Perfectly stated! But for the MOST part, Barred Rock roos seem to fit your needs... [​IMG] You're not asking that much, that seems to be what everyone's looking for.

Hatchery isn't the best way to go. You should go to a breeder and ask to see the parents to find out what they're like. Brothers and sisters, also.

Thats the rooster that I have, And im planning on getting rid of haha. But im not sure yet, because hes been attacking me, so I might be able to change that, and have never seen him mate with the hens, so im not sure if he is aggresive or not, I dont see missing feathers, or blood or any of them dead ( i know he mates them because I checked and I have fetile eggs)

10. big medicine

big medicine custom Brahmas

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    Not sure what size hens you have, but mean or agressive Brahmas are rare.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by