What breed of rooster for silver laced wyandotte hens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by inohio, Aug 12, 2011.

1. inohio

inohio Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2009
    Well, after totally rebuilding my hen house to predator proof it (yet again), I finally went to auction and bought hens again. I now have 5 silver laced wyandottes, all on the cranky side from all the auction stuff, settling into a 2'x3' cage inside the house for the night.

I'm most proud of the fact that I came home with ONLY 5 birds. God blessed me at the auction with a man who needed help picking out hens (his first question was "how can you tell which ones lay eggs?"). So I got to buy vicariously through him. He ended up with 5 barred rocks and 5 RIRs all for $3 ea. When we first started talking, he only wanted 5 hens... so we looked them over and picked out a couple sets that would match what he was looking for. His birds came up first and he got the BRs. Then when my birds came up, I bid and got them. Then I walked away to avoid buying any more. By the time we met up in the pick-up area, he'd bought the second group of hens... not sure if that's auction math or chicken math... but it was all I could do to stop him from bidding when the chicks were going for fifty cents each. I had to explain that 20 chicks will likely become 10 roosters fighting and 10 very worn out hens that are too frazzled to lay any eggs.

I'm guessing that my hens are 18mo - 2 yo hens. They don't look very old, but they are molting. There was a same breed roo at the auction, but when his price hit $4, I decided to to think more about it and just go back later. Strictly speaking, I don't really NEED a roo for a year or so, as I expect these hens to be plently productive for my purposes for now.

But, now I'm wondering if I want to get another wyandotte or go with a cross breed. What other breeds cross well with Wyandotte?

I'm in Ohio, so have to deal with winters. I have predators, so they have to live in a 12 x 18 pen. I want a dual purpose bird, but value egg production more than meat. I don't really want to go smaller in bird size. I'm thinking a cross bred will be a more durrable bird (and what ever it is will be the basis of the 'next generation' in my flock). I prefer clean legs because of mud, etc.

What would happen if I tried to put a jersey giant in with them? Would that be dangerous?
    What about if I crossed them with a silky? Would the hens dominate him too much?
    What about an EE cross? Could I call the off-spring "EE" birds?

Any suggestions or examples (especially pictures of crosses) would be greatly appreciated.

2. grendel

grendel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    Walbridge ohio
    I would go with an ancona roo(high egg producers)or a silver spangled hamburg.There would be some interesting,colorful cross breeds.

3. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    if you got a red roo youll get sexlinks

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello!

I'm also in Ohio. If you want a dual purpose bird, for eggs and maybe meat, I would not cross them with a silkie. They don't have the best egg production, plus the meat would be very dark.

You would want to cross them with a heavier, cold tolerant breed. I would suggest the Barred Rock, because they meet that criteria, and they're great layers too.

Another great layer would be the black Astrolorp, because they're excellent layers and cold tolerant as well.

Just remember, if you pick a breed with a large comb, to put some vasceline on the comb during the very cold winter months, because that will help prevent frostbite.

Take care,
    Sharon

5. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Quote:Yup a Rhode Island Red Roo and SLW Hens make beautiful birds together. Mine are red with flecks of black around the neck and in the tail.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by