1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what breed of rooster is this guy?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by browntownfarm, Jan 30, 2015.

1. browntownfarm

browntownfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2015
    [​IMG]I picked up my first rooster last night at an auction. Does anybody know what breed he might be? Or mixed breed? Sorry picture is not great.

2. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Hard to tell, is he smallish and has short legs? Is his comb a funky rose comb?

Kind of tempted to toss in the idea of Japanese- Rosecomb bantam cross/mix... he has a very long and very full tail- imagine the long tail of Japanese and Rosecomb would produce that, especially if his comb is a rose comb.

Alternatively, if his legs really are short, maybe Japanese crossed with American Game. Would rule this out if his comb is a rose comb though....

Seems to be a beautiful and unusual bird.

3. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Looks like a dubbed Black Breasted Red Old English Game Bantam...

4. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    He's crowwinged though.

Superficially he does look like OEGB and do wonder if that's a dubbed comb- but then most dubs also cut off the wattles.... what threw me is his saddle feathers are rather long- it's short on most OEGB, also he has a lof of sickle tail coverts witj super pointy tips. These are few and usually round tipped on most OEGB.

Perhaps more pictures showing the comb better and of whole body will help.

5. browntownfarm

Jan 30, 2015
    Ill post more pictures. He is small but I think he is still young. I'm new with chickens though so I could be wrong. I have 3 hens and my speckled sussex is not happy about him.

6. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Haha nobody is happy around an overly cocky little guy eh?

He might be young, however he is either already fully grown or won't get much bigger than he is already.

7. browntownfarm

Jan 30, 2015
    [​IMG]

8. browntownfarm

Jan 30, 2015
    [​IMG]

9. browntownfarm

Jan 30, 2015
    Oh no! I was hoping to breed him and get some chicks but he's half the size as my hens! Shows you how much I know...

10. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Could we see the whole tail?

Turns out he IS dubbed. That means his comb has been partially cut off. Unusually, his wattles have been left on- usually they are cut off during the dubbing process.

He may be able to breed the big hens... some bantam(small breed of chickens) roosters are able to, others not so much.

From the feet, he does appear to be a young bird, about a year old. Fully grown/fertile.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by