What breed of rooster is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chris Alvarez, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Chris Alvarez

Chris Alvarez New Egg

Jan 26, 2013
    [​IMG]
    He's a very nice rooster with hens(not other roosters) he looks like he has game cock in him but definitely has cornish; please help!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  2. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    I don't know, but he sure is pretty! [​IMG]

3. Chris Alvarez

Chris Alvarez New Egg

Jan 26, 2013
    baymule thank you he's the best rooster I've had.

4. He is very pretty. He definently has some game in him.

5. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

I think I see Silver Spangled Hamburg (white earlobe, spangling on chest, body shape) crossed with something larger, maybe a white Cornish (for the size and pea comb). He's lovely.

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

What about SSH and Dominique.

Looks like a funky rose comb to me. Pretty either way!

7. Chris Alvarez

Chris Alvarez New Egg

Jan 26, 2013
    heartmoss farm aoxa
    Uhmm I wouldn't think he would be a small breed like the ones you stated because even though he doesn't look big, he is 16 pounds!
    Thank you all for your suggestions though.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Have you weighed him?

He doesn't even look close to 8 pounds in the picture.

I would need proof of 16 pounds.. Considering the largest chicken breed is the Jersey Giant, and they only top the scales at 13 pounds. The heaviest chicken EVER was 23 pounds.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  9. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah! That definitely could be a rose comb with the single comb crossed in there to make it stand up funny. I was assuming that the barring was a result of the spangle genetics that just got translated strangely in the cross, but it makes more sense that the SSH has dominant white which came through on the body, as well as the spangles, and the recessive black barred came through on the tail... I think that's what the genetics say, lol.

10. Chris Alvarez

Chris Alvarez New Egg

Jan 26, 2013

I weighed him about 3 months ago and he is actually 15.7 pounds which I rounded to 16 it's the tight feathers on his body that make him look small; which is a characteristic of the cornish. His previous owner told me that his mother was a cornish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by