What breed of Rooster to get Please share your knowledge

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by wanttobefarmer, Aug 15, 2010.

1. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    I have 4 Easter Eggers 3 buffs 3 australorps a red sexlink a black sexlink and a cuckoo maran. I want to have all Easter Eggers and would like babies out of my chickens. To get more Easter eggers with a variety of colors in the eggs should I get an Araucana Rooster, and Ameraucana Rooster, or an Easter Egger Rooster to breed to all my chickens?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'd suggest Ameraucana. The Araucana has some issues with hatchability, somehow tied to the rumpless gene. Not sure the details but I think it will probably not show in the first generation but would in the second. The Easter Egger rooster can have the genes for blue eggs but also can have genes for brown. The true Ameraucana is required by standard to have the genes for blue eggs, no green or brown allowed. When crossing an Ameraucana rooster with your hens you will probably wind up with green and brown eggs instead of blue, but you will probably get more blue/green eggs with an Ameraucana than with an Easter Egger.

I imagine you know you cannot get a true Ameraucana from a hatchery. I've yet to see a hatchery offer anything other than an Easter Egger, no matter what they call them. You'll have to find a breeder that specializes in Ameraucana.

Good luck!

3. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    I really appreciate the information. I also really appreciate the reasons why you would go with Ameraucana Rooster. Thanks alot. I'll try to find a breeder here in texas close to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by