What breed of Rooster to get

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wanttobefarmer, Aug 15, 2010.

1. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    I have 4 EEs and 3 buffs 3 australorps and a red a black sexlink. I've decided that I want all EEs they have a great disposition and the variety of egg colors is awesome. Should I get an Aracauna Roo, an Ameraucana Roo, or an EE Roo? If I was Just breeding EEs I would think EE roo, but since I want to creat EEs should I get one of the others to bring stronger color? Please Help. I posted in breeds genetics and showing and no one replied.

2. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    If it is variety in the colour of eggs you want I would suggest an Ameraucana roo. I have EE`s too with an Australorp roo because I like the gentle birds that result from that cross. I just inherited what I am hoping (thanks to input from BYC members...) are Blue Ameraucana`s and I am tempted to keep the little one that is looking rooish. I am new at the whole genetics thing though so hopefully you`ll get some experienced advice.

3. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Thanks alot I really appreciate any input. How are the australorp EE crosses? What do they look like and what are the varities of egg color that they lay? I'm not sure if you said if you've gotten any chicks yet. I'm thinking a wheaton or blue spash ameraucana Roo would throw some interesting looking EEs. Let me know and thanks again

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    An Ameraucana rooster from good blue egg laying stock would be a good choice if you want to raise pullets that lay vari colored eggs. Not all EE produce blue or green eggs; therefore, not all EE roosters carry the blue egg gene. Ameraucana rooster crossed on your brown egg layers should produce daughters that lay olive drab green eggs. Bred to your EE hens you could expect blue, green, olive, ? colored eggs. A true Araucana rooster should give the same results, but I'm not sure if there are fertility issues in some Araucana families (in addition to the lethal gene situation.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by