What Breed of Rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Shadowgrass, May 6, 2011.

1. Shadowgrass

Shadowgrass Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2010
    I believe he is a mix, this is the best pic I have right now, but I don't know if he is predominately a White Plymouth Rock, White Leghorn, or maybe a Rhode Island White mixed with Red? Anyone help me decipher? Probably need better, closer photos.

[​IMG]

2. Stumpfarmer

Stumpfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Red Sex Link

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    x2

He matches the girls [​IMG]

4. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    Really red sex links are that light.. I dont have any but wow he is almost white..

5. Stumpfarmer

Apr 9, 2011
    kera! :

Really red sex links are that light.. I dont have any but wow he is almost white..

That's the "sex link" part: the males are easily told from the females even as chicks because they have totally different colors.​

6. Shadowgrass

Shadowgrass Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2010
    Ahh, makes sense. I picked him up from a buddy who didn't know either. So, red sex links over red sex links would give what off-spring? From what I understand the sex links aren't reproducible since the are a LIR and LIW combined. Is that correct? So I would get some RIR and some RIW offshoot or something [​IMG]

Thanks for the help!

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  7. Stumpfarmer

Apr 9, 2011
    Quote:I don't think so, from what I've read on BYC: sex links are all F1 hybrids, and breeding them to each other ends up with the traits being redistributed so that not all females are red with white tails nor males white with a yellow gloss and dark feathers on the wings, neck and sometimes tail. I'll bet there's something about that in the BYC Learning Center, the link to which is up at the top of the page.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think you'll get a mix of red and white birds, no difference in color between the sexes. They'll lay great, maybe not quite as good as the parents, but as good or better than their grandparents.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by