What breed of Runner Duck is that? - She looks like a Silver Appleyard Runner

Oh would Duck genetics be so easy! - If you cross a White Appleyard with (what?) Indian Runner you will likely get something that would not look at all like a Silver Appleyard, neither like a Runner.
I have crossbreeds of Fawn and White Runners and Buff Orpingtons they neither look like F&W nor like BO nor like Runners.
And the mix between a White Layer and a Buff Orpington doesn't look like any of the parents at all, more like a wild duck.

Yep, that is definitely the silver appleyard color on a Runner duck :)

No idea if that color is in the US, but with some work you could make it happen. Personally the way I'd do it is cross a Silver Appleyard with a grey Runner. Then I'd breed those offspring together. Then, you'll have ducks that are 3/4 Runner and are apppleyard in color.

Cross those back to a grey Runner again for type. Breed those back together to regain the color. Rinse and repeat until you have the Runner type pretty well locked down.

Also, the ducklings appear to be sex linked you think? Judging by the different head markings.
Maybe i was too tired yesterday evening, but i haven't been able to sort out who was quaxing and who was still peepsing of the ducknagers. But they were all beautiful and looking so interesting. Did you see the one that looked like a Black Swedish runner? And the brown one with the »zip-line« on its belly? - I found myself in my barn recently, thinking about how to get a concrete floor in that thing, water and electricity, so i could have more ducks… 🤷🏻‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom