What Breed Of Turkey Am I Raising?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Patchesnposies, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    My husband picked up these delightful, very healthy, turkey poults as wee babies at our local feed store a couple/few months ago, where he was told they were Bronze Turkeys. They don't look like the pictures I have seen of Bronze Turkeys. Can anyone verify that they are or are not BT's?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If they are Bronze Turkey's are they the fast growing broad breasted? They don't seem to be growing very fast, but then I am a turkey novice. LOL

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. OmaBird

OmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    Do you have any pictures of them when you first got them?

3. Patchesnposies

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    Quote:Yes, I do, let me post a picture or two....

4. Patchesnposies

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    I am afraid that they aren't as small in these photos as I thought they were.

[​IMG]

They were fascinated with the grommets on my son Michael's boots.

[​IMG]

Do these pictures help at all?

5. OmaBird

OmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    They are bronze based from the baby pictures. I have lots of sweetgrass but they are white with a gray stripe as babies. A palm crossed on bronze will show a feather or two being white. I have not seen as much white from a single cross so I wonder if they have more than one palm gene??? I would call them a tri color of some kind. I would like to see them as they grow up.

Anyone else have any ideas?

6. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I have absolutely no expertise in genetics, maybe shoot an email to Kevin Porter and see if he would be willing to look at pictures and help? His website is http://www.porterturkeys.com/ He does a lot of crosses so maybe he has seen something like that before...

7. Patchesnposies

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    Quote:So, we are thinking that maybe these are mixed birds? If the resident experts here on BYC can't help me, I will write to Kevin Porter and ask. Thanks for posting the link!

Meanwhile I am still open to guesses, hopefully from someone who has raised bronze turkey's and knows.

8. Poupoulles

Poupoulles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Mayberry (really!)
    Even their baby pictures have too much white to be bronzes. They may be some kind of royal palm bronze mix? Who knows. If you had one in a batch like that I would say it was just a sport, but since they are all like that then they are a cross of something... Whatever they are they are not broad breasted. Maybe bronze and regular white mixed, but I dont think they would come out like that.
    Cute though...

9. Patchesnposies

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    Quote:That's what I thought and why I posted the question. Thanks for the input.

Deb

10. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Is that white or gray? To me they look like maybe some Narrigansett in there... I don't think they would be a cross of White and Bronze. Kevin told me that it doesn't work that way... for instance if I crossed the White Hollands that I bought from him with a Bronze, he told me that the offspring would be black because the WH is black based. Interesting coloring though, and beautiful! I would love to see more pictures as they grow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by