What breed or gender is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by vicki017, Apr 1, 2016.

1. vicki017

vicki017 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    I've waited a few weeks now and I've been highly suspicious that I have a rooster however I don't know the breed to know what's normal for it. I got it from the "assorted" group of pullets at Big R 4 weeks ago. I believe it's 4 week maybe a little older but it's always been bigger than the rest and growing faster though the others are catching up. I know it's a little early but it's starting to get red in its comb.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also the other one I got from the "assorted" pullets I believe to be a barred rock pullet, correct me if I'm wrong

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My other 4 in 99.9% sure are pullets and I know the breeds of them but their combs aren't as distinct as the 2 are

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I would say the first is a roo but not sure of breed. Maybe a leghorn? The barred it might be a roo I am leaning more roo then pullet.

3. vicki017

Mar 12, 2016

I thought the white one is a roo and maybe a mix breed? And the barred is more black than white though and stripes are thinner than BR Roos I've seen

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    White is cockerel. Likely a white Plymouth Rock. The barred Plymouth Rock is a pullet. In a week and on the red will really show up if a cockerel. I think the white Rock will brighten red a lot in short time. Single comb pullets wont show any sign of red until point of lay- 16 weeks and older month before laying so can be 20 weeks, 24 weeks etc. Point being any red in single comb bird before 4 months is a male.

5. vicki017

Mar 12, 2016

Ok thank you, now I just gotta figure out where this guy will end up now :( I can't keep him since I'm within city limits and I don't want baby chicks! XD

6. vicki017

Mar 12, 2016
    Wanted to give an update on the white one who we now named Roo (or rue if it's a female but very doubtful at this point) he/she is 5 weeks old now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This little guy is the one who doesn't fuss when I pick him/her up and is so nice to me

7. vicki017

Mar 12, 2016
    So for sure they are all hens HOWEVER I still am not sure of big birds breed. I'm thinking its a mutt since I got it from the assorted section when I bought her. She went from pure white to tanish with darker spots in her feathers here and there. Any ideas? They are all now 3 months old

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's the big whitish tan one in the photos

8. vicki017

Mar 12, 2016
    No one?

9. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    I see two Rhode Island Reds, 1 Barred Rock, 2 Easter Eggers, and the white one with the reddish shoulder feathering is probably a mix.

1 person likes this.
  10. vicki017

Mar 12, 2016

Yeah I knew all of them except the one so its most likely some kind of mix, any ideas on what it could have in it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by