"What Breed Or Gender is This?"

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickens4us, Feb 16, 2012.

1. chickens4us

chickens4us Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2012
    AZ
    This chick is about 2-3 weeks old. Told she was Golden Sex Link?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    If it's a gold sex link and the bird is gold, it's female. no pics needed :)

3. Aschenfire

Aschenfire Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    That is not a chicken O.O It looks like a bald eagle! [​IMG] Very pretty bird, so my post isn't much help. I am a chicken newb. I just thought this baby looked really cute with her regal, eaglish appearance :D

4. chickens4us

Feb 13, 2012
    AZ
    She does look bald, although she has her downy, which is light in color. Thanks!

5. chickens4us

Feb 13, 2012
    AZ
    This chick does not look "gold" to me, am I wrong?

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    With sex links, "gold" is vs "silver", so yes, she is gold. A male gold sex link would be white. Gold sex links can be various shades of red or yellow, depending on the mix used to make them. You probably got what you were told, if so she'll cover you in nice brown eggs in a few months!

7. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    It depends on whether this is a real sex link or if this is a result of breeding sex-linked chickens. Future generations are NOT sex links and could result in other colors.

This looks more like a red sex link to me if it's sex-linked at all.

ETA: I just looked at the pics again and noticed the HUGE legs. Looks cockerel to me. A clearer shot of its head would help.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Looks like a hatchery quality New Hampshire Red or Production Red. And I'm betting it's a cockerel based on the thick legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by