What Breed or GENUS am I? I may be half keet!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bantyshanty, Dec 29, 2012.

1. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    This little chick, or chickish thing, was hatched out this morning. S/he's sparkling snow-white with a trace of lavender, white belly, white throat. She hatched out pinky-carrot and somewhat wedge-shaped in the head... hmmm... I can't find the eggshell to save me, as it was in the coop, with a broody, and I have shell-stealing hens from time to time, but I have no male guineas, and I never saw an egg from my hen. Saw her sitting in the nest box a few times this past month.
    Here's the deal: One guinea hen, three bantam roos, all half-serama, 30 good-looking chicken hens of all sizes. What would make a roo want to jump on a guinea?
    But this little keet/peep has a lot of guinea looks and traits. S/he runs from one end of the Rubbermaid tub to the other in a quarter second, has a non-chick squealy sound, and gets her orange parts picked on by the other two chicks. I don;t know what else to think.
    Please see coloration & help me decide. Mom would have been a lavender-pied guinea , if I'm right.
    Notice the snow-white fuzz, which is not exactly like down (keet indicator). That's a partridge serama next to her.
    [​IMG]

It's hard to see the head, but eyes are smaller, eye socket more pronounced, and cheekbones narrow to a bit more of a point.
    [​IMG]
    She stays quite quiet for thirty seconds or so when I pick her up, then starts squealing. My one batch of keets was a year ago, hatched at home. I remember them this way.

I just looked up this cross phenomenon, and found Miracle's story, but then Miracle died. Does anyone know of other guinea/chicken crosses that survived into adulthood?

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    it happens and i have heard of them living to a good old age. they are sterile so you wont ever get babies from this cross

3. TheSpeckledRoo

TheSpeckledRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    Michigan
  4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    does it have a comb??

5. arcy liger

arcy liger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    WOW...

6. TheSpeckledRoo

TheSpeckledRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    Michigan
    You should post updates on how your chickeet is doing!

7. eggorthechicken

eggorthechicken The Henabler

Apr 29, 2012
    Wayne County WV
    I had one female guinea and my roo took a liking to her....he followed her everywhere...not sure they ever mated cause I placed her with another lonely male guinea and they were pretty young

8. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

That beak looks pretty guinea to me. Very cool!!

9. Chickengirl47

Chickengirl47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Louisiana
    Keep us updated!

10. LeJeune1

LeJeune1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Allen Parish, LA
    Please do Keet us informed. More Pics too :eek:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by