What breed or mix could she possibly be?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AccioSarah, Nov 22, 2010.

1. AccioSarah

AccioSarah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    San Juan, Puerto Rico
    This is a post about our new bird, Maragret! We adopted her from a local shelter in town. She's currently in quarantine in our garage before moving out with the other girls... but she is one of the oddest looking chickens I've ever seen.

Here are the photos, but she was very difficult to photograph and just wanted to run around. She's got a crown on her head that reminds me of a blue jay, feathered feet... and she's mostly all black with white spots. But her flight feathers are all WHITE. Couldn't get a picture of that though...
    Not to mention she is extremely small and should be about 3 months at the time of these photos. A possible bantam?

What is she??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

((forgot to add how small she is! MUCH tinier than any of our other birds at this age.))

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I can tell you from the little white dots that she is Split Mottled ( carrying one copy of the mottleing gene but not showing it and the dots will molt out soon) So I would say probably a Polish X Mottled Cochin.

3. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    I agree with the split mottled, but I think instead of cochin, possibly d'uccle or even silkie, but probably d'Uccle because of the small size. My d'Uccle hens are teeny tiny, and thier babies (which are mixes) are often very small too!

So my vote is bantam polish with mottled d'Uccle.

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:OK I wouldnt say Silkie but yeah a Mottled or Mille Fleur dUccle X Polish could be a reasonable possibility too,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by