1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed quail would be best for house pets

Discussion in 'Quail' started by quailwanted, May 14, 2011.

1. quailwanted

quailwanted Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    shepherd
    I want to have quail as house pets. What breed would be the best to use. They be in the house and in bird cage. Please let me know. I think they are all beautiful in there own way. Love the pure white ones though!

2. pheasant24

pheasant24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Kalamazoo, MI
    button quail.... [​IMG]

3. quailwanted

May 14, 2011
    shepherd
    Quote:Ok those are the best they can live good. Do they make any noise or anything like other birds. Have never owned them but want to get some quail was going to get chickens but that fell through when I did not get the place we were going to get!

4. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Ok those are the best they can live good. Do they make any noise or anything like other birds. Have never owned them but want to get some quail was going to get chickens but that fell through when I did not get the place we were going to get!

You could still get chickens....Seramas are kept as house pets all the time . they are very small .
    my Buttons were pretty loud ,so are my Coturnix which would be a better choice as far as temperment goes.Chinese Blue-breasted Quail /"Buttons" freak out if you even walk NEAR their cage.You are a "monster" even if you are only trying to feed them.They are EXTREMELY high strung.You can't handle them at all.

5. quailwanted

May 14, 2011
    shepherd
    Ok awesome maybe I will get some those chicks and some quail. I am going to hatch them out on my own. I guess since can't find anyone to ship them to me as day olds lol

6. mhwc56

Quote:Have fun with them!The Seramas are GORGEOUS birds!

7. quailwanted

May 14, 2011
    shepherd
    You happen to have any fertile i could buy from you. I have paypal:?

8. mhwc56

Quote:Sorry , wish i could help...go to the Serama thread in the chickens section here on BYC there are alot

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Serama chicks and button quail chicks are very fragile as day-olds, which is probably why you can't find anyone to ship them to you.

10. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    I've been told Button quail are basically for looks only since you cant really hold them... It would take forever to make breakfast with how small the eggs they lay are. The only use for the eggs would be for hatching but I guess you could crack open a bunch of eggs to make breakfast? [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by