what breed r these ducks??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by angie a, Aug 10, 2014.

1. angie a

angie a Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2014
    These two were given to my kids the last time we got chicks. Im pretty sure the black and white is an ancona?? Maybe? And have no idea about the all black one. Bill and feet are also black. And I have no idea how to sex them until theyre grown. Weve had them since they were covered in down and thats been around six weeks[​IMG]
    MG ALT=""]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6514661/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
    MG ALT=""]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6514657/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

2. angie a

Jul 2, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Both look like they might have some Indian runner in them. However, I think both are mixes with another breed, perhaps a black Swedish or a Cayuga.

You should be able to voice sex them at this age. Males have a low, raspy (vibrating) quack, females have a very clear, loud quack and they often make little squeaks when they're talking to you or other ducks.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  4. angie a

Jul 2, 2014
    Thank u! Im undecided on the voice. Lol

5. willowbirdks

willowbirdks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2014
    http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/artquacks.htm

My ducks sounded just like these two options by about 10-12 weeks old on a consistent basis. Are you hearing either of these? What about when you try to pick them up, sdo they talk at you then?

I have Anconas and Magpies. Your b&w duck looks a lot like mine... Maybe more like the Magpies than the Anconas, except the feet are more orange than black. I bet the folks with more experience than me (like Darlene above!) will have better ideas about breed. They're both lovely ducks!

1 person likes this.
  6. pearlandjewels

pearlandjewels Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2014
    basildon essex
    Hi you have really lovely ducks. I was wondering if anyone could ID my little yellow duckling at all x [​IMG]

7. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I'm not 100% sure, but it's head and bill look very Muscovy-like to me.

8. pearlandjewels

Aug 3, 2014
    basildon essex
    Ok thank you, I was thinking maybe a silver appleyard as he/she has black tail. I didnt realise how many different ducklings there was lol

9. pearlandjewels

Aug 3, 2014
    basildon essex
    Maybe this would be better pic: [​IMG]

10. Aronia

Aronia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2014
    St. Catharines, ON
    Does anyone live near St. Catharines, ON?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by