What Breed(s) are these Cockerels?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by OldCrookedToe, Nov 12, 2015.

1. OldCrookedToe

OldCrookedToe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2015
    Florence/Effingham, SC
    All we know is that they're all pretty young and supposedly all are from the same place so I'm assuming they're all the same breed.
    Most of them are a deep red color, all have yellow legs, all except two have black tails (those two have barred tails) Their old owner told me they were for slaughter, so their obviously a dual or meat breed.

[​IMG]

The one above is the largest, his head hangs over the other roosters. The chicken in the background is how almost all of the cockerels look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The one above is the palest of the lot, also one of the skinniest.

Thanks!

2. Ameraucanas

Ameraucanas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    They could Welsummer cockerels.

3. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    They are mixed breed.. Welsummers look very different and are black breasted.
    The one in the first photo looks like a cream legbar cross as I have several that look similar but I wonder if it could be a black sex link cockerel (barred rock cross) as the other one looks like it might be a red sex link cockerel. That would explain why they are for slaughter as no real use as breeding birds.

I would say they are probably about 6 months old and if they are to be for meat, now is the time!

4. OldCrookedToe

OldCrookedToe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2015
    Florence/Effingham, SC
    Thanks! Our neighbor raises meat animals and we bought a few cockerels from him to save them from the block, seems we were just in time!

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Animals of the same breed all look pretty much the same. If you have a variety in looks, you have multiple breeds or mixed breeds.

these all look to be mixed breeds. The barred bird is easy enough to get to crossing a barred and a Red or black breasted red. The others clearly have some Red influence, could be New Hampshire in there somewhere, but basically they are mixed breed cockerels.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Ditto! None of the birds shown are Welsummers

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree with donrae.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Mixed breeds.

10. brummie

brummie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2013
    Ther first picture is likely to have legbar blood. As rebracorsa mentioned earlier, I've also had legbar crosses that look exaclty like that, with the barred tail feathers same hackel/sickle etc. Mine was with a GLW roo however. Judging from the the other roosters in the photos, I would say the first picture is almose definetly a RIR/NHR x Legbar and the others are RIR/NHR cross something else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by