What breed/s is my hen???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by froggiesheins, Dec 3, 2010.

1. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    [​IMG]
    Hi all you BYCers, I AM UPDATING THIS POST AS: Girly is now sporting white ear lobes so I know that helps with identifying. Any guesses what she might be?? She is 41/2 months old now. Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
  3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    American Games have wide spread, high set tails - Does she? She's perching so it is hard to say.

What color earlobes does she have?

4. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    The only time she lifts the tail and spreads the feathers is if she is running around being silly or if she feels there is a threat. Otherwise she has it straight out the way you see. Earlobes are still pinkish and very tiny yet. The comb,waddles & ear lobes vary from pale pink to reddish (like when humans blush) from day to day.I was pretty sure she was a roundhead, but I just wanted some more feedback. Her mom&dad reside at the stables,where I keep my horse, but I am unsure which one is the mom. Dad almost looks like the Shamo breed he is very tall standing w/ yellow legs and has heavy red facial covering (whatever that rubbery material that makes up a comb, I swear it is rubber)[​IMG]
    If she leans that strongly towards gamebird them momma is probably one of the roundhead hens that are at the stables.
    Quote:

5. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Quote:

6. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:Not all American gamefowl have wide spread, or high set tails. Some may carry the lower, some high, some medium, long, short, fat, thin, - you get the idea. I think it is preferred they have high set tails, with a wide spread look. But they're gamefowl, and weren't focused on much for uniformity (as a breed, strains are a different story sometimes). American games have a large variation in looks, since you can look at the Herman Pinnion Yellow legged hatch.. They have relatively low tails, and extremely long tail feathers due to the China gamefowl influence in them. Then the average gamefowl is carrying I'd say, Irish, Old English, Asil, maybe some Thai, and possibly Shamo. Not to mention some birds having Sumatra, etc. They can come pearl eyed, red eyed, brown eyed, etc. Short, medium, or high stationed, thin or thick body (depending.. There are some you can tell are just not right, they look like Rhode Island Red's pretty much).

To me she looks to be a American game, or at least she is part. She's not roundhead though, maybe part. But she looks more like a Brassyback butcher, or Albany to me..

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    She's beautiful, whatever gamefowl may be in her. [​IMG]

8. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Quote:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010