What breed(s) might she be?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mejumpmore1, Jan 3, 2014.

1. mejumpmore1

mejumpmore1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2013
    Alabama
    Recently, I picked up a couple new girls from a lady who was selling off a number of pullets breeds included Black Austrolorps, Blue Copper Marans, Black Copper Marans and Lavender Orpingtons. I intended to purchase two Black Austrolorps to replace Lucy, a pullet that passed away from illness right before Thanksgiving. When I arrived home with the new girls and went to place them in their new quarantine pen I noticed that one of them was most definitely not an Aussie. I haven't been able to get her to be still enough to get a pic but when I do I'll post it up. In the meantime, here is a description of her:

Eyes: Orange (Aussies have black eyes)
    Comb: Rose comb (Aussies have single comb)
    Neck: she has some copper feathering much like my Black copper marans
    Body shape she is a young pullet, but shape is similar the Aussie that I picked up with her
    Legs: slate color, no feathering. (which makes me think there may actually be a little Aussie in her after all)

I'm leaning toward some mix of copper marans, austrolorp and something else...I can't figure out what "other" might be in there to give the rose comb. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm dying for her to start laying eggs so I can maybe tell a little more by egg color.

2. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Could she have some Wyandotte in her?

3. mejumpmore1

Oct 8, 2013
    Alabama
    Honestly, anything is possible. I don't know if the lady hatched them out from eggs she purchased or from her own hens. If they are from her own hens, then no. She didn't own any wyandottes. However, if they were from purchased eggs, she could have wyandotte in her. I'm going to try to get out and take a picture of her later today when it warms up a bit. I'm dying to know what she might be...but she sure looks like a marans with the exception of that rose comb. That has me baffled.

4. mejumpmore1

Oct 8, 2013
    Alabama
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture of her in the background along with my oldest Australorp, Ethel. I don't know how well it shows up, but she's got some copper colored feathering right up around her head, much like my BCM. Any thoughts on what she might be?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by