What breed(s) should I start my flock with?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Tylexie, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Tylexie

Tylexie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    New York
    I'm looking to start a flock of about 6 chickens, but I'm unsure what breed(s) to choose. I live in NY, and we get cold weather as well as hot, so I want a cold hardy chicken who can also withstand 90°F days. I'm also looking for very good layers who produce large eggs. The chickens will also be the family pets, so it would be great if the breed is docile and friendly.

Does anyone have any ideas on a chicken that would suit these needs?

Also, are there any chickens that meet the criteria above but lay eggs throughout the whole winter, too?

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Welcome [​IMG] I also live in NY, so the birds I recommend are hardy, of course others will have recommendations also.
    Since they are going to be pets also, Nice gentle hens would be Dominiques, barred rocks and Easter Eggers. Dominiques are not very prolific layers - maybe 3-4 eggs/week, the other 2 breeds are rock stars!
    Another breed I like is Welsummers - they lay a dark brown, speckledy egg - very pretty, but they can be a bit pushy.
    Others may recommend Orpingtons - I have found them heavy on feed, light on eggs, but they are very docile.
    First year hens will lay through the winter b/c they haven't yet molted. If you want them to lay through the winter in following years you will likely have to add light - see the learning tab.
    Keep us posted on your choices [​IMG]

3. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    I love my barred rock pullet, and she is averaging 6 eggs a week. She's a sweetheart too, will jump right up on my lap if I'm sitting in the run. My daughter has 2 red sex links and a black sex link, and she almost always gets 3 eggs a day. These hens are my granddaughter's pets and are very calm about being handled by a toddler.

4. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Red and black sexlinks.Meet all needs and have good immune systems.

New Hampshire reds are good to but have a hard time in the heat.

5. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    I have had sverel barred rocks and they seem to always be the ones to get sick and die.

6. Tylexie

Dec 11, 2015
    New York
    Thanks, this really helps. I'm not sure if the places I go will have all the breeds that I might want. Too bad I can't order only 6 chicks online (everywhere I've checked online, you can order a minimum of 10 chicks).

Does anyone have any advice on a place I can get quantities of 6 chicks, instead of the normal 10 or 15?

Also, how well do these chickens meet my needs: americaunas, leghorns, anconas, red stars, buckeyes, and white plymouth rocks. Will any of them do?

7. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    You can try e-mailing Mypetchicken - I think they will send only 6 but not till the Spring. Leghorns and anconas have a tendency towards 'flighty'. Buckeyes' and w. p. rocks should be placid. If you Google 'Hendersons chicken chart' it will give you all sorts of info. such as how many eggs, color, disposition etc I frequently used it when I was starting out, it's very helpful [​IMG]

8. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    Red stars are hust red sexlinks,just like black stars are black sexlinks.

Facebook has pultry selling sites and usually tons of chicks in the spring.

Buckeyes are rare,so lot harder to find.

9. Tylexie

Dec 11, 2015
    New York
    This is really helpful. I think I only have one more question: do Buff Orpingtons get picked on by other breeds? If so, what breeds will they be fine with and which breeds will pick on them?

Again, my thanks go out to the BYC community. You guys are all so helpful.

10. Tylexie

Dec 11, 2015
    New York
    Also, is it better to have a flock of all the same breed or have many different breeds?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by