What Breed / Sex / Age are these? (PIX)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Masonic Chicken, May 8, 2009.

1. Masonic Chicken

Masonic Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    Vernon/Bonifay, FL
    I was given these 5 birds and I am not sure of the age or sex or breed of them. I think 3 of the 5 are Roos and 2 are hens, but I can't tell.

Also anybody have any idea of the age on these birds?
    They seem kinda old.

I am referring to the big white ones only, here are the pix.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any ideas guys?

2. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

The large white ones are broilers - hens can also have large combs.
    The one with the feathered feet is a splash cochin.
    Do any have spurs?

3. Masonic Chicken

Apr 24, 2009
    Vernon/Bonifay, FL
    Not that I seen, but hey some have different amounts of toes etc...didn't know if it was possible without the spur.

I am new to all this, what breed is a Broiler?
    Does that mean just a meat bird?

4. arllcountrygirl

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2009
  5. Masonic Chicken

Apr 24, 2009
    Vernon/Bonifay, FL
    Quote:That is a better answer than I ever expected for sexing, and breeding, so you think these really aren;t that old because they never really live past a year or so?

And when you say they don't handle heat well, can you tell me what a side effect would look like if they are over heating?

6. arllcountrygirl

Quote:That is a better answer than I ever expected for sexing, and breeding, so you think these really aren;t that old because they never really live past a year or so?

And when you say they don't handle heat well, can you tell me what a side effect would look like if they are over heating?

They would have spurs by now if they were roos. I had one that was a pet and lived for several years. I love their personalities.

When they start getting hot they will hold their mouth open and pant they will also kinda of hold their wings out to the side.

7. Masonic Chicken

Apr 24, 2009
    Vernon/Bonifay, FL
    Just out of curiousity, how many eggs would you expect a week from a hen of this breed?

We never really wanted the hens for meat, or any of our birds for that matter....

As for thier personality, I agree they are a hoot. I love watching them waddle up, they are my fave to watch, but they eat so much and I get very little eggs. And I am in FL , so the heat could be an issue for them then. This explains alot.

8. arllcountrygirl

Sorry can't answer that one. [​IMG]
    I would think prob every other day. [​IMG]
    They also stress easily so if you just moved them it could take up to 3 weeks for them to start laying again.

9. Masonic Chicken

Apr 24, 2009
    Vernon/Bonifay, FL
    Well I can't win them all. You have been a big help in just helping me identifying the breed/sex, and the website you linked me was awesome, saved that one.
    Thanks a million!

[​IMG]

10. arllcountrygirl

Glad I could help - Congrats on your new birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by