1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Breed/Sex Are We? *** BANTAMS***

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chicken quartet, Jun 22, 2008.

1. chicken quartet

chicken quartet Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Corona, CA
    Hi, I'm new to the boards! We got our first 4 chickens 2 weeks ago. I was told they are silkey/cochin bantam crosses. Is that what they look like to you? What about the sex? I was told they are girls but I have some doubts.

BTW... I now have 7 chickens! I got a Golden Laced Wyandotte chick and 2 Wheaton Marans!

The little one pecking at my new Marans chick... what is it?

[​IMG]

Here's another pic of one of my bantams

[​IMG]

Any idea on their ages??

Thanks!![​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  2. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Both look like boys to me.

3. HidingInTheHenHouse

HidingInTheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The first one looks like an Ameracauna roo. The second one I don't know. They both look to be about 5-6 wks old.

4. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    The first picture looks like you have two roo and two hens the 2nd picture is a roo

5. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    It's very possible they are Silkie/Cochin .... the Silkie feathering will not show up in an F1 breeding. And they do look somewhat Cochin-ish...especially with feathered legs and all....

I'm GUESSING Silkie/Pardridge Cochin crosses and both roos.

How many toes do they have? Extra toes could be a sure sign of Silkie blood [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  6. chicken quartet

Jun 12, 2008
    Corona, CA
    Man, I'm so bummed!! I was hoping they were all hens. :eek: I was suspecting they weren't though.

Anyone need any bantam roos???? [​IMG]

They only have 4 toes. They are so cute to watch run around though. My hubby won't let us get any roos. Too noisy for him.

7. chicken quartet

Jun 12, 2008
    Corona, CA
    Ok, here's a picture of the other one from that group that is supposed to be a hen. It's a little bit younger than the others but I now think it's a roo too! I can't believe out of 4 chickens I got 3 roosters! It definitely has a larger comb then the one that
    is for sure a hen.

This is Lucy: (maybe now Luke, LOL)

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by