What breed/sex is this chick, 3 weeks old

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JBavar, Sep 5, 2013.

1. JBavar

JBavar Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2013
    Is it normal for White Rocks to start getting some black and gray on their wings at 3 weeks? She's mostly white still, just just has some speckles in her wings in a few areas. I'm starting to wonder if I got a Delaware instead!

Also, is she a roo? Pictures to follow

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Not a White Rock.

We'd have to see a photo or two to help guess as to what the mix is. It is also very hard to guess while they are still young. It all becomes clearer around 9 weeks.

3. JBavar

Aug 20, 2013
    [​IMG]

Lol she was freaking out when I took these so it took a few minutes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*ETA: crap. After googling, it looks like a Delaware roo to me now. :( I can't keep roosters. i'd love to hear other people's opinions! These are my first chicks, so I don't know anything.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'd say Delaware cockerel. The smut down the back between the shoulders on a Dellie chick that age is usually a male trait, plus the comb is already rising up a bit.

5. JBavar

Aug 20, 2013
    DARN, I thought that's what you'd say lol. I guess he's going back to the farm I got him from...destined to be a meat bird. He's so sweet, but there's no way I can keep him :(

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Delaware roosters can be really fabulous, especially of good heritage lines. You should read some of the stories of my own almost 5 year old rooster, Isaac.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by