What breed/sex is this?? TSC mixup!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mommywisey, Apr 21, 2011.

1. mommywisey

mommywisey Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2009
    Crossville, TN
    Hello everyone [​IMG]

I bought 4 chicks from TSC that were supposed to be all Black Australorp. Well, two have feathers that are outlined in a pretty brown color. The bird on the left is one of them - the one on the right is one of the australorps. Do you know what breed it is? The birds are 4 1/2 weeks old.

Thanks for your help!

[​IMG]

2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    If the break through was red I would say sex-link I am not sure maybe a mix??

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Don't know what breed they are (might be a cross of some sort) but neither one is a Australorp.

Chris

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  4. mommywisey

Feb 14, 2009
    Crossville, TN
    What features does the australorp have that the one on the right is missing? I was hoping at least one was an australorp! [​IMG] (That is what they said they were at the store.)

I am totally new to chickens and love to learn - I really enjoy the BYC site!

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Well Australorp shouldn't have that Yellow-ish/Green-ish/ Black color legs and I'm betting the Rooster on the Right is the brother to the hen on the left. [​IMG]

Chris

6. Steergirl

Steergirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston Area
    Quote:Well Australorp shouldn't have that Yellow-ish/Green-ish/ Black color legs and I'm betting the Rooster on the Right is the brother to the hen on the left. [​IMG]

Chris

You have to realize that these are hatchery birds so it could be a low quality Australorp, so let mommywisey have their Australorp.

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio

Chris

You have to realize that these are hatchery birds so it could be a low quality Australorp, so let mommywisey have their Australorp.

Did you read her post?
    She herself believes that the one was not a Australorp or at least a cross. I told her what I thought.

Sorry I don't tip toe around the truth I tell it as I see it.

FYI most hatcheries will/do cross the three Black single comb breeds ( Australorps, Giants and Orpingtons ), the pullet on the left shows a lot of lacing in the breast much like a Birchen and that is not a characteristic of a Australorp, Giant or a Orpington.

Chris

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You have two of the Black Cross mystery chicks that TSC was selling this year. There were many, many "mixes" or "flavors" of these.
    We had many threads here on BYC about different kinds. I myself picked up 4 chicks, as I was told they were standard BSL, which I have had in the past and they make wonderful hens. What I got immediately began to feather out with gold/buff (not red) lacing and breasts, they grew twice as fast per normal, were odd in personality, had greenish legs, just like the OP. At four weeks I still had no idea what they were and gave them away to a poor family who needed the assistance and were glad to get them.

Some reports, and I emphasis, reports, had these weird black mystery chicks coming from Mt Healthy, which in a phone call to them, they did not deny. They would only say they would "grow up to be 'like' an Australorp." OK.

9. mommywisey

Feb 14, 2009
    Crossville, TN
    Thank you for all of your comments on my mystery chicken! But I must admit I am disappointed that TSC would completely lie to it's customers. Does not seem fair. I know that I did not pay much for them, but still I thought I was getting the australorps!

I wish there were more places to buy purebred chickens near me. I should have gone to a breeder!

But anyway - have a Happy Easter one and all [​IMG]

Michelle

10. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Frankly? I don't hold it against TSC. They just get their chicks directly from Mt Healthy and/or many other hatcheries. They open a box, they sell them. That's it. They are merely a retail store re-selling hatchery chicks.

I started a thread a few days ago, called, "Can You Get A Mutt From A Hatchery?". Now, you see why. Hatcheries selling less than Standard of Perfection chicks is one thing. Hatcheries dumping some of the mutts they are this year is, well........ You fill in the blank.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by