1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed/sex is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Miranda2609, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Miranda2609

Miranda2609 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2011
    Springfield, VT
    My flock consists of many different breeds. We have 1 Barred Rock, 1 Silver-Laced Wyandotte, 3 Buff Orpingtons, 6 definate Ameracaunas, 1 Columbian Rock Cross (I believe), 2 Partridge Cochins, 1 silver-laced Cochin, 1 Golden-laced Cochin, 1 Blue Cochin, 2 Rhode Island Reds, and one unknown chicken. 3 chickens are older, and then there are 6 that are recent layers, and then 11 have not started laying yet. The chicken we do not know what the breed/sex is is in the batch that hasn't started laying yet. 6 of that batch was bought from a feed store, and there was a small selection of breeds to choose from.

We were told this chicken was a Barred Rock (it was in the Barred Rock bin when came in). However, it didn't have the typical yellow spot on it's head, and it looked to have dark legs. As the feathers came in, and as it started to grow, there was a significant size difference at first (also obvious that is was NOT a Barred Rock). The others have since caught up to it. It's body seems to be black, and the neck, and shoulders are a reddish brown color. It seems to have slate colored legs also, but has a few hairs coming through on it's legs. I'm leaning more towards an Ameracauna that got put in the bin. They were all supposed to be pullets, but we know how that goes. It's comb is very much different than the other Ameracaunas, not exactly a pea-lick comb. Also, it is getting wattles. I thought it had spurs coming in, but haven't noticed any significant growth recently, but it's legs seem thicker than the chicks of the same age. It was born somewhere around the 3rd week in May of this year, so is roughly 4 months old. No crowing yet.

I don't believe I am able to post a picture yet... and besides do not have any good pictures of it yet. I will have to take some better photos later this weekend. What does it sound like to you? Oh, it does not have a "muff and beard" like typical Ameracaunas do, but one of my pullets does not either. Was told they sometimes have the Aracauna trait and get ear tufts instead, but the pullet is definately Americauna as it was bought from a reputable breeder in my area.

2. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Do you remember all the breeds for sale at the feed store? Sounds like it might be a black sex-link hen or possibly a marans, but we'd really need some pics for more accurate guessing [​IMG]

3. Miranda2609

Sep 16, 2011
    Springfield, VT
    I think breeds were:

Silver-Laced Wyandotte
    Buff Orpington
    Ameracauna
    Barred Rock
    NH Red

I don't believe Marans or Sex-links were an option, but I'll have to double check at some point... not home right now, so unable to locate the options or be able to take better photos. I do have a couple photose but unsure how to posta picture

4. Miranda2609

Sep 16, 2011
    Springfield, VT
    [​IMG][/img]
    Here we go. It is behind the reddish-gold Ameracauna. Will post some more recent photo of the chicken as now it has a more pronounced comb, and is red all around head, chest, and shoulders.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    It's a hen but not any of the you listed. Unless it's an Easter Egger which is the majority of your birds shown. I saw one Buff, one Wyandotte, possibly an Ameraucana and a bunch O EE; which are often sold as Ameraucana.

6. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    I think it could be a Marans or Marans mix pullet too. Maybe another pic would help?

7. Miranda2609

Sep 16, 2011
    Springfield, VT
    I posted more pictures on another post.

8. Luke0987654321

Luke0987654321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Spain
    thats a black sex link pullet, best layers i have. [​IMG]

luke.

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    She is a Sex-link (cross bred).
    Also your "Ameracauna" is a EE

Chris

10. Miranda2609

Sep 16, 2011
    Springfield, VT
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the first picture, 3 Ameracaunas are laying down, there is a blue cochin, a barred rock, silver-laced wyandotte... then the unknown with the upright tail

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by