1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed/ sex might these be?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ellena, Jul 8, 2011.

1. ellena

ellena New Egg

Jul 8, 2011
    Hi All! We are new to chicken raising and we got these chickens from a girl at the office whose Dad has a ranch with many chickens. Unfortunately she got them when her Dad wasn't home and we don't know what kind they are or if they are male or female. Is anyone able to tell? They are approximately 6weeks old...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Padfoot417

Padfoot417 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Massachusetts
    I would say you have a Rhode Island Red,a White Leghorn,and a Polish mix.
    If they haven't started crowing around their age then you should have all pullets [​IMG]
    Best of luck with your new girls!!!!

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us.

I'm not great on naming a lot of breeds, but the one with the "hat" does appear to be a polish cross.

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:They're only six weeks old!!! While some cockerels may start young, it is not the norm for a rooster to be crowing at 6 weeks - none of mine has crowed before they were 16 weeks old. I agree with the guesses on breed, although the red one looks more like a red sexlink to me. The crested looks to me like it is developing some roo-ish tail feathers. If you can get close up photos of the head/comb, and body where we can see the saddle and hackle feathers, we'll be able to give you some better guesses on gender.

5. ellena

ellena New Egg

Jul 8, 2011
    Thank you all so much for taking the time to look and respond. I will try to get some better pictures of up close shots. They are fast little things! I really hope they are all hens as I have become very attached to their little personalities already. I can't keep a rooster as I will have very unhappy neighbors, and I wouldn't blame them [​IMG] So I will get better pics and cross my fingers that they are all girls!

6. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    your buff polish dont seem to be a cross but looking like a roo

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  7. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Looks like a Polish, production red, and possibly a porcelain Old English Game???? The Polish looks like a buff laced and possibly a roo. Really hard to tell anything for sure on the other two from your pics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by